Music for 2022- Is It Just Me Or?..

Hello All!

December is now here and I realize that I have not purchased as much music this year. Being a Redbook guy I normally buy an average of 150-200 titles a year. So far this year-30 (and it’s not for lack of looking). I’m getting another order ready and have only 25 titles that want to own so far.

So- I wanted to put this question out to the group to see if it’s just me thinking this or if others feel the same- 

Have you found 2022 do be a boring year when it comes to new and interesting music?

Not talking about reissued “one more for the road” stuff.

designsfx

Showing 2 responses by dz13

I like to look at end of year lists and see the type of music I like in several lists. This year I’ve got several things I like and there might be more.

Alvvays: Blue Rev

Big Thief: Dragon New Warm Mount

Soccer Mommy: Sometimes, Forever

Hatchie: Giving the World Away

Alex G: God Save the Animals

Crumb: Ice Melt

Beach House: Once Twice Melody

There were a couple I picked up this year that actually came out last year:

Pip Blom: Welcome Break

Tristen: Aquatic Flowers

What is great is that you can look at the reviews and then play the entire album on YouTube or on a streaming service. Even better are the artists who play live on KEXP or NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts shown on YouTube so you get a sense of who they really are. I’m checking out the Spoon release Lucifer on the Sofa. I’ll check out a few more. That’s a pretty good haul for me.

@designsfx

I don’t buy that many as I would never really have an opportunity to get to know the albums. Using the old "back in the day," you used to buy an album with almost no chance to hear it before unless in a record store, radio or a friend’s house. You had to replay the record all the way through many times sometimes before you "got it."

Soccer Mommy is someone that I hadn’t really cared for before but I really like her new one. It actually sounds somewhat similar to what Alvvays is doing and I love Alvvays.

Alex G is a new one for me. I listened to the new one a few times and enjoyed it. I’ve also listened to his older albums to see if I should go there but they haven’t caught me like this one. Sounds sort of like Sufjan Stevens with more of an edge.

Beach House takes a bit of time to actually catch the melodies they put out. It’s a matter if you want to put in the time.

Big Thief is something you like or you don't. The singer/songerwriter, Adrianne Lenker, is just really talented and the band adds a lot to the songs. 

I’ve always thought that music changes the way your brain works and sometimes there is a real learning curve for the brain.

Please list your favorites for this year. I’d be interested in what you thought was the best this year.