Music for 2022- Is It Just Me Or?..

Hello All!

December is now here and I realize that I have not purchased as much music this year. Being a Redbook guy I normally buy an average of 150-200 titles a year. So far this year-30 (and it’s not for lack of looking). I’m getting another order ready and have only 25 titles that want to own so far.

So- I wanted to put this question out to the group to see if it’s just me thinking this or if others feel the same- 

Have you found 2022 do be a boring year when it comes to new and interesting music?

Not talking about reissued “one more for the road” stuff.

designsfx

Showing 1 response by deadhead1000

I'd tend to agree. It's always been tough to be a musician, but the last few years have been brutal....less live events, loss of places to play, harder to collaborate, harder to find people to collaborate with, finding new talent. That all adds up to less money and resources to record new music or bring new acts/collaborations up. I believe it'll get much better going into 2023-24 as things "catch-up" and ease back into just the normal challenges musicians have. 

That said, there is a good amount out there and I have been happy with what I have found, it's also given me a chance to catch up on a few 'old' new bands and recordings (I spent a good deal of time comparing various Beethoven 9th's - Von Karajan is right now my favorite.)

Subscriptions to various magazines and websites (Music-Map is one I recommend) has helped me uncover more music. Also, expanding your genre's helps. I never really got into Death/Black/Doom Metal, but found Ghost and have enjoyed them.