Music first or sound first?

I just thought it might be interesting to take a poll of those that put sound first and those that claim they put music first in listening to their rigs.

128x128rvpiano

For me, performance's quality, musical composition, and sound quality cannot be separated. However, I find performance the main driver … where I can enjoy a lesser composition and recording quality if the performer draws me into their, and draws out of me, emotions   That said, my enjoyment is greatly enhanced with excellent sound quality. 

If I don't like some piece of music there's no audio rig that's gonna change that...I'll just not like it in higher fidelity...briefly...Conversely, if something is really great to my ears it can be coming from a crappy source and it's still great.

When the sound is right, the music is first. When the sound is off it gets in the way and takes our attention and we find it first.

Last night I happened to listen to Street Corner Talking, and Sticky Fingers.  Street Corner was wonderfully recorded, given it was 53 years ago, and totally engaging still.  Sticky Fingers, while being one of the top 3 Stones recordings (IMHO) is hit and miss, track by track.  Do I love the music?  Absolutely.  Does the sound make it less desirable for me.  Absolutely.