Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Showing 50 responses by sns

Now have a number of listening sessions with Opticalrendu and further burn in on a number of other upgrades, still have perhaps 50 hours left for full burn in.

Not going in depth on listening impressions yet, but the reach and depth of 005 is something to behold! I really thought I was nearing optimal streaming and cd rip setup prior to Opticalrendu and other mods and burn in. Turns out substantially better sound was left on table. I now have nearly limitless noise floor, images appear out of of an immense nothingness in a manner hard to describe. This level of resolution and transparency is everything I've ever imagined in nearly thirty years as audiophile and building high end systems.

A new level of effortlessness I've previously only heard with high end vinyl playback, this is exposure of superior micro dynamic presence of 005 along with DHT valves. Only nit at this point is slightest bit of less than natural timbre, expecting improvement on this front with further burn in of  300B and 101D tubes along with Takman resistors and Audio Note caps in pre.

005 as source makes this level of sound possible, rest of system is there to serve this source.

Andrew at Small Green Computer is more agnostic than John about network improvements in front of Opticalrendu. I spoke with him last week about when Opticalmodule will come back into stock, he only stated it would make very little difference vs. generic FMC. I'm more in line with John as I'll either get Opticalmodule or server with optical out in front of Opticalrendu. I'm also seriously considering getting Network Acoustics Eno to fit between my router and server. My audiophile switch didn't work well there, perhaps Eno will provide benefit. These efforts will complete my network experiments. I could sit right where I'm at for the long term, curiosity as to 005's potential pushes me forward.

005 is first source component in nearly thirty years of audio that doesn't feel like a limiting factor in attaining highest possible resolving system.

@yyzsantabarbara  It seems separate or discrete components and increasing  complexity always goes hand in hand with our ever evolving systems. Many years ago stereo receivers were state of art, an all in one component. Then along comes integrated amps and discrete source equipment, then we separate preamps from amps, and we have phono preamps and phono SUT. I guess we shouldn't expect any different in streaming. Crazy, but there are ten separate actions to get my system up and running! Even an experienced audiophile would be extremely challenged to get my system up and running!

@lordmelton  auxinput correct in that there is no separate circuit FLAC vs WAV. WAV files could theoretically sound better than FLAC since FLAC requires a bit more processing which may result in a bit more jitter. Very few claim to hear a difference between these two formats. All my cd rips stored in AIFF format, Apple version of WAV so I'm of no help here.

Perhaps the difference you're hearing is jitter related, but WAV should sound better than  FLAC unless you prefer that bit of added jitter. If there was a difference, I'd expect the WAV to sound a bit more precise, this may not be preferred sound quality.

Well, I'm still curious if FLAC does indeed sound different than WAV since some report it does. I'm going to experiment with ripping some of my cds in FLAC and compare to AIFF.

@arafiq  Two ways to took at that, financial interest or they really like dac. I assume vast majority of dealers like the products they carry. And I doubt lot of financial incentive with carrying the Musetec which has relatively low retail price. I presume Mola Mola would have much greater margin for profit.

Still, listening is best way to determine if audio equipment fits one's needs.

@yyzsantabarbara I can't tell from your link if you can change pin outs on I2S with GAIA. My Singxer SU-6 has this capability via dip switches.

I can see possible scenario where I2S could outperform usb with 005 in system. Lets say you have inferior usb out of server, and take top flight I2S reclocker/DDC like Denafrips, I2S may be superior. One has to understand usb outs of many servers  NOT optimized, come straight out of noisy motherboards.

Baring inferior usb feeds into 005, I presume optimized usb input on 005 will always outperform any other input.

@sirnui I find your experiments extremely interesting. In my limited experience and knowledge of clocks I find a number of issues. I recently tried an audiophile network switch with TXCO clock (marketed as OXCO clock) inferior to router straight out to server. I heard what impressed me as an excessive clocking sound quality in that images too tightly drawn. I've since learned clock incompatibility is real issue, frequency, square wave vs sine wave. Clock cables and cable length also have bearing on sq.

Do I understand you correctly in that you're using AES input on 005 vs USB? Have you tried USB input with 005 in present setup?

I have to say I'm biased against Denafrips gear since trying Hyperion amp a few years ago. Dark and veiled, small sound stage, two dimensional imaging, not even close to my push pull and SET tube amps, or even a Musical Fidelity M2si I was auditioning at same time. I thought anyone voicing component to sound like that was playing voicing games with an entire Denafrips setup. I want my components to sound neutral, I have other means to voice.

@sirnui It seems I have pretty unique setup in that I have second ethernet port on my server, therefore: modem>router (powered by over spec. lps) via short run of Audioquest Vodka ethernet>server, via another short run of AQ Vodka>FMC (powered by lps) via second ethernet port of server through another short run AQ Vodka>Opticalrendu via optical cable>005 via AQ Diamond.

Using a network switch only adds more complexity to my chain, requires another AQ Vodka from router to switch, then switch circles back to server. I thought switch would help with network cleaning and superior clocking vs. router, instead it only added complexity. My second ethernet port in server makes all the difference!

Vast majority of streaming setups are single computer where server outputs usb (in your case AES) directly to dac. The only place where network can be improved is upstream of server, the reason you guys like audiophile network servers. With my two computer setup where I have network out of server I can upgrade network DOWNSTREAM of server, this is where my optical comes in, I completely eliminate noise from entire network upstream of server and server produced noise. I stay optical all way into steamer (opticalrendu) where network is further clocked, usb cleaned, usb clocked into the wonderful clocks of 005.

Sound quality with this setup is incredible, far superior to a number of previous network setups. With 005 and recent upgrade to opticalrendu(powered by Uptone JS2, quality of lps important here) substantially better resolving and MOST IMPORTANTLY, 005 has become incredibly relaxed, sense of EASE or illusion of listening to really top flight vinyl setup. This setup has finally put to rest my single last reservation as to 005 sound quality. Up to now, I had considered 005 overall gestalt as somewhat analytical, or at least slightly to analytical side of neutral, it had clearly defined digital signature. I'm now hearing analog sound signature, not really sure I could determine sound as digital if I came to listening session blind to source.

@sirnui You're correct in how router is acting. I still have my audiophile switch and want to experiment with replacing router with switch. I presume the switch will be quieter and know it has superior clock, in fact I did hear a bit more detail when adding switch. The issue is while this could work short term, I do need wifi in house, not running exposed ethernet cable through house.

With recent changes I've been able to remove one generic FMC along with it's lps, Uptone usbregen with it's lps and one ethernet cable.

I also have at least 2500 cd rips on NAS, streams virtually indistinguishable from streams. Network upgrades especially benefit streams.

I'd be interested in your results with Ediscreation, unaware of this up to now. If your results positive I may try between router and server. I've been looking for network upgrades upstream of server, this may be just the ticket!

I use Synergistic orange fuse in 005, never heard it without this fuse, thought about upgrade to purple. Hard for me to swallow $700 fuses as well, seems like a lot to spend for possible marginal gains, but who knows?  Keep us informed on this as well.

@kairosman That will be good comparison!

At ASR one is deemed incompetent engineer if measurements aren't to their criteria, assume engineer can't design or execute proper measuring component. Two, if listener enjoys this incompetent component they are deemed incompetent listener. Funny, but I posted over at ASR my enjoyment of both 005 and Okto Dac (good test results at ASR), still I was deemed incompetent listener. Once your painted with incompetent brush there can be no redemption, only those whose listening impressions line up exactly with measurement protocol deemed golden ears. Point being, don't deviate from whats expected, talk about forced compliance and bias!

But you know, the funniest thing about ASR is, while they deem some as incompetent listeners, they admit their own incompetency in stating and believing first, inherent human senses are unreliable, second, individual sensory perception is completely invalidated. So, don't trust your senses, and/or your individual perceptions of what those senses tell you. To tell you the truth, I don't even know what this means, how does one even listen without relying on one's own senses?

@car123 You probably missed it in this long thread, but I previously owned the SU6, I had the whole setup ready to go. I never felt motivated to even give it a single listen based on my great results with my particular usb setup. As a result I  recently sold it without ever having listened to it.

So, back to ASR, measurements and 005 particulars. In spite of pedantic nature of ASR and sycophants I do lend some credibility to measurements and their correlation to some aspects of sound quality. As HermannS over on headfi forum 005 thread mentioned, the discreet I/U and output stage may be responsible for the  saturation in output stage ASR measured. Add in the ESS chip "hump" and its quite possible some artifacts in sound could be exposed by these measurements. I alluded to this in prior post when I mentioned any +$10K dac I'd consider for purchase would be expected to have greater refinement than 005. While the 005 has been a very nice dac over the two years plus of my ownership and constant upgrades, I'm now coming to the end of those upgrades, subsequent burn in and long term analysis. I do hear what is a likely artifact of some of these distortion figures. My focus is beginning to be drawn to a certain stridency in massed violins, not to the point of glare, in fact much less of this than from previous dacs, and certainly recording dependent. but still it is there. Keep in mind, I'm judging this in relation to live non-amplified instruments, and various vinyl setups I've owned over the years, and finally to my aural memory of multi $100k vinyl setups. So, a pretty high standard for natural timbre.

I've not been to audio shows in recent years, so I've not heard the latest and greatest digital, but based on members here and others all over the interwebs who own top flight vinyl AND digital setups, it is stated the best digital can now compete with or exceed vinyl in every parameter. The 005 not here, nor should we expect that at $3k. So, my bottom line is I'll give the measurement crowd some due, I believe what I'm hearing correlates to some of these distortion figures. Doesn't mean I've changed my overall perspective of the dac one iota. This could be an end game dac for many, all depends on how high a mountain one wants to climb. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy this dac without reservation, even knowing I have higher mountains to climb. This will be one of those pieces I remember fondly when it comes time to sell.

There is no doubt the 005 has elicited more posts from me than probably all my other audio components put together. I simply can't find a single error of commission with it, that's unprecedented for source equipment in my experience. I'm still waiting for negative review or report of some deficiency with this dac.

No agendas with me, I purchased through retail dealer, Black Friday sale price. A new much higher price dac is coming into view for me, curiosity as to what sins of omission 005 may be committing is occupying my thoughts.

Well, I actually owned the Okto Dac8 stereo, LKS005, LKS004, Auralic Vega and total diy Frankenstein Perpetual Technologies setups all coincidentally or within short period of time from each other. All except the Okto large parts count, if parts count was measure of value it would seem getting full value with these. And then the Okto, mostly air, not getting good value? On the contrary, Okto was fine sounding unit, really not that far off 005 in my system at that point in time.

I also purchased that Okto based in part on measurements at ASR. Based on those measurements I expected relatively high resolving powers. But then, I also require subjective listening reviews prior to my purchases. All things being equal in subjective department,  I prefer good measuring equipment, symptom of good engineering in my book. I also need good internal photos, I want to see neat and tidy layout and quality parts, lots of times what I see is foundation for mods. In the case of 005, internal photos illustrated no need for any diy mods, they already did what I would do if I had good foundation to start with. In fact my purchase of 004 was meant to be diy Frankenstein mod package, one look at 005 and I knew I wouldn't have that hassle.

By the way, Okto is smaller operation than Musetec, really is one man operation and extremely high demand due to ASR and Stereophile reviews. They also have the Pro 8 channel model which further limits stereo version production. Last I knew they had stopped taking orders, excessive wait list. I will tell you the Okto is one fine dac, quite amazing at that price, and not Chinese which will be big selling point with some. I suspect part of taking off market may be due to running modifications, it uses 9028 Sabre chips, I'd imagine they may go to better chip or perhaps off in some other direction.

I also think its informative, in regard to reviewers credentials or expertise/validity to know their reference for sound quality, entire present system and comparative experience with other highly regarded components. For audio reproduction, everyone's reference should be really high end vinyl setup, this is where the epitome of natural timbre will be found, this the one area where digital has traditionally lagged far behind. With the really high end analog setups you'll also get the highest resolving powers, micro dynamics, sound staging, imaging, and most important, the ease and natural pace of real live music. Digital can easily do the resolving thing, the rest not as easily achieved. While it would be nice to own the absolute best analog setup, most of us will have to rely on audio memory, still if heard often enough and over many years, the memory sticks. Also nice to hear non-amplified natural instruments in great sounding venues for the live reference.

And now I return to measurements, lots of negativity regarding ASR at the moment. People should recall that earlier iterations of digital had very little in the way of meaurements or means to measure some very important technical aspects of digital. Take jitter for example, early digital very bad here, over time jitter became critical issue due to correlation of jitter measurements to sound quality, improved jitter performance the result, and much less of that old digititus sound today. I'd only say measurements are critical in the design of audio equipment, especially digital, for us end users, the subjective listening is most important.

As for new interesting contenders in high end/value dacs, the Musician Aquarius looks like a real R2R dac contender.

I believe misperceptions of our intentions is mostly due to relatively low price and country of origin of 005. While I agree with general cost to performance  correlations, exceptions do occasionally surface.

Questioning our credibility is to be expected, I simply ask people to judge for themselves. I too am skeptical when I only see positive reviews of any particular product, I purposely seek out negative and neutral reviews to keep things real. Problem is I guess all who have used 005 have nothing bad to say.

@turcoda Per above, 005 usb galvanic isolation is top flight, however, my experience is further isolation via my newly added Sonore Opticalrendu is extremely beneficial. Opticalrendu femto clocks both network input and usb output. Previously used SOTM SMS200 Neo, this was also beneficial.

Equipment above is for 2 computer setup, the Sonore and SOTM both Roon endpoints as well as usb renderers. If you're running server directly out to dac, YMMV.

@turcoda It's much more than superior usb board in 005 that makes it a wonderful dac. Every aspect of 005 is well thought out, reason why it's been so positively reviewed. With 005 you won't be moving on to another dac for a long time, you can build up rest of system over time to take advantage of full potential of this dac. Can you say the same about the Singxer? Knowing what I know about the 005, if I were building a system I'd get the 005 and cross one more item off the upgrade list, this is dac for the long term.   My present system is culmination of well over twenty years building systems, this is likely my last system, I see no need to upgrade this dac.

@kclone @melm  I doubt its the balanced operation of Equi-Core as I use BPT 3.5 Signature balanced transformer based pc with my 005. I suspect you may be overloading Equi-core, likely quite a bit of inrush current when going from standby to on with 005, recall these are supercapacitors and charge up at each start. If Equi-Core continues to operate correctly without 005 connected your Equi-Core isn't failing. You could try disconnecting another component from EC and see if that solves issue, feeding clean power to 005 is beneficial.

@kclone I understand your reluctance to remove components from pc. Have you tried removing amp from the Equi-core and run straight into wall? I've found over many years and many amps I much prefer all amps straight into wall vs BPT. But then I run three dedicated circuits, each on 20amp service, 10 gauge Romex, dedicated grounds on each. Again, I understand you may prefer amp into pc if not using dedicated AC.

The power surge on initial turn on points to your ac circuit as culprit vs Equi-core. The big current draw in your setup is integrated, I'm with @lordmelton in thinking its your AC circuit is the problem. If you have typical 15amp service with likely 16 gauge Romex your AC circuit not up to powering this many components. There's not much to go wrong in a balanced power transformer pc, I'd check that AC circuit prior to purchasing new pc since you'll have exact same problem with the new pc.

@wig Not sure this has any bearing on present day tube dacs, but back in the day I had Audio Logic 24MXL. Also had Perpetual Technologies dac setup modded to the hilt. AL suffered greatly in comparison, perhaps unfairly biased against tube dacs to this day.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion I only want sources to provide maximum resolution and transparency, barring analytical presentation, I prefer to add flavoring elsewhere.

Whether 005 will fit your needs contingent upon your evaluation of present tube dac. If you feel present dac excessively flavored towards warmth or lacking transparency and resolving power 005 could be for you.

Coincidence or causation for 005 and ET? Isn't there protection circuit on ET? You'd think that would trip prior to house breaker. In any case looks like that pc malfunctioning. I've had my BPT for nearly twenty years without a single problem.

I prefer slow filter, I recall at least one person here preferring fast. In any case, doesn't make a huge difference, dpll setting more consequential.

My estimations of 005 sound quality continues to grow as latest tubes and  resistor and cap mods in pre burn in, and newly added OpticalRendu. SS, imaging continue  to bloom, timbre continues it's more natural evolution, and the ease OR added, just WOW!

005 capabilities to expose every single little change is sublime. question is, could this be double edged sword? I went in wrong direction with audiophile network switch, 005 easily exposed that.

Here's best comparative review I've probably seen of  KTE version of Holo. Compared both to Mola Mola and Totaldac. https://twitteringmachines.com/review-holo-audio-kte-may-dac/

The language of audiophiles and/or terms and words we use to describe sound is an attempt to objectify an inherently subjective experience. Melm's one example of descriptions of 'analog like'  goes to show how it can have different meanings to different people. I presume most audiophiles know what intent of that descriptor means, yet it may not be entirely accurate in an objective sense. We can't know for a fact the person claiming to hear this characteristic in their system really knows what analog sounds like, or conforms to our definition or understanding of same.

I suppose I was lucky in a way in that my beginnings in audio were prior to information technology explosion. I had virtually no communication or access to information in regard to the sound of audio equipment. I only had my own experience listening to various sound reproducing systems to guide my own path into creating my own systems. I had very few preconceptions or biases, I didn't yet have the need to be cynical or judgemental, therefore, I was like an open book, I could easily trust my own ears/mind to judge the qualities of sound that appealed to me. And so this was my method for building my first system, and remained the method for subsequent system building.

I'm not sure I'd like to be novice audiophile today, I'd have a terrible time making decisions on which direction to pursue in everything audiophile. Who can you trust? Here we are extolling the virtues of this virtually unknown dac, I understand the cynicism of outside voices, why should any of us be trusted, what are our credentials?

And so audiophile's attempts to objectify audio language and certify themselves as experts to be trusted is highly questionable. Obviously, at some point individuals make choices as to audio equipment purchases. Based on the many requests for guidance on this forum and many others, any number of individuals are letting others guide their purchases, they are placing their trust in certain others. I further presume the more experienced of us are at least somewhat influenced by other audiophiles, even if we are consciously oblivious to that influence.

And so the point is, its very likely virtually every single audiophile makes valiant attempts to objectify an inherently subjective experience. I can't live in your shoes, and I don't have your assemblage of equipment in your room, I know virtually nothing about your audio system listening experience! And here I am extolling virtues of a dac with my unique audio language, audio system, room and ear/brain listening complex. Seems quite useless!

Which brings me back to this overly long winded spiel. I purchased 005 virtually blind, not a single review, absolutely no guidance other than internal pictures and description of parts used. My only guide in this purchase was my knowledge of audio parts gained through many years of modding various audio components. And that was hard gained knowledge, I destroyed a couple diy projects in the early days. How any of this makes me qualified to be a guide as to any dac purchase is beyond me.

Melm's honest appraisal on the subjectivity of audiophile language was food for thought here. This recent article by Roger Skoff also great stimulus, https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0322/Disagree_About_Audio.htm

I've contemplated selling two of my leisure only cars in this market and use the funds for audio upgrades. Originally the plan was to purchase dac in price range of $10-20K, no longer interested in using those funds on digital side of system, 005 goodness eliminates need or desire for that. Analog side needs expenditure in that range to catch up to digital. Modwright PH150 and $5k+ cartridge is what I'll need to compete.

I also have the 005, extremely highly resolving dac capable of sounding wonderfully natural in sympathetic setup. I've also experienced less than stellar results with various silver components and cabling. In this case I hear no deleterious effects, ps is part of this dac's magic, extremely low noise, vanishing black background here.

I suspect price and origin of manufacture will bug some, too low priced to be competitive and product of perceived enemy. Naysayers should be ignored, valid comments from actual users and those interested welcomed.

Melm is an experienced audiophile, has valid and real world experience in audio. We've had difference of opinion on 004, totally agree on 005.
On presumption of bias by some toward Sabre chip dacs; I can understand that bias as I've heard what some characterize as digititus in particular Sabre dac setups. On the other hand, I've heard very nice presentations of previous Sabre chip dacs in sympathetic systems.
I can only say this particular dac is capable of very natural presentation.  First off, the sheer resolving power allows for extremely dimensional imaging and precise and properly proportioned soundstaging, giving illusion of live performers in room. Another standout aspect of this dac is really special micro and macro dynamic presentation. Macro presentation, just as with soundstage, is properly proportioned, the real magic is in micro presentation. Amazing ability to expose the smallest gradations of dynamic performance, singers and wind instrument breathe, different fingering techniques of non-wind instruments greatly exposed such that sense of live performers in room heightened. I presume excellent power supply responsible for this performance.
And now for the assumed bugaboo of Sabre chip dacs, namely timbre, and perhaps timing. I can only say in sympathetic setup 005 is capable of natural timbre. I grew up on analog, have been to tons of live performance, including non amplified, and I do have pretty nice analog setup. I can only say I don't feel deprived on this score with the 005. Add to this a neutral tonal balance in my system with choice of three amps and four preamps setups. If timing is perceived as function of dynamics than micro dynamic excellence solves that issue. I've yet to experience that feeling of irritation that long digital listening sessions can bring about, says good things about lack of digititus to my way of thinking.

Now, I'm not here to anoint 005 as a dac for all seasons. It is capable of sounding analytical in certain choices of setups available to me. I can't fathom anyone evaluating it as a warm or romantic device, I'd describe 005 as broadly neutral. By the same token, I'd find it difficult to believe one would evaluate it as ruthlessly revealing, I've found very few recordings sound worse than with previous less revealing dacs in my system.
Now, I'd really like to hear this dac comparatively reviewed against some of the higher price spread such as Holo May, Mola Mola, Briscati, Totaldac, etc. Devoid of such a review we are only left to speculate as to it's place in dac hierarchy.
Totally agree on sound quality preference  I'm looking for in dac. If I need more romance/warmth I can build that in elsewhere in system.
Dac topologies aren't my primary concern in dac purchase, whatever the topology I like to see a mature implementation of that topology. 005 has certainly implemented  excellent engineering elsewhere in unit with this highest performing Sabre chip.

@sirnui Goes to show you how unique streaming setups can be. I can see how your usb chain could be improved, but the Grimm seems to be optimized for AES.

So question is would better optimized usb beat AES in your setup? And then, could your AES setup be further optimized in which case it could rise above the optimized usb setup?

I'd like to optimize every possible scenario, but at what cost and never ending chase. We can chase what we don't have or be happy with what we do have. At this point I'm experiencing such fine sound quality from combo of optical and usb not sure I want to do further chasing.

I suppose theoreticals have played large role in my present choices. Hundred percent galvanic isolation of optical and seemingly optimal engineering efforts toward usb in 005 has focused my choices.

Streaming wide open today, so many possibilities!

@melm I hope to explore this very soon via an acquaintance building serious  server dedicated to running highest level dsp with HQPlayer. I can only say my explorations with Roon dsp have been disappointing at best, I hear an 'electronic haze' or less natural analog like sound quality with any dsp engaged, even allowing Roon to control volume is bothersome for me. My experience points to 005 does better job with these digital processes than Roon, the rest of my system exposes those differences.

At this point not convinced of value of software dsp, typically I see great amounts of dsp used with desktop type systems. Go over to Headfi and lots swear by it, don't see it so much in high end systems. Perhaps lower quality dacs benefit more than the better dacs. It doesn't say much for one's dac if software dsp superior to letting dac control these processes. Why have a good dac if you're not using it's full capabilities? Also, it may be that only extremely transparent, resolving systems painstakingly  optimized for maximum analog like sound from digital will expose software dsp anomalies. Still, it may be that us older guys with high end systems are simply ignorant, more resistant to newer technologies. Expect I will soon uncover more knowledge with direct experience.

Good dac and people, whats not to like!

In regard to low level detail and ambient noise levels. Continual improvements to my system since getting 005 about a year and half ago have resulted in ever lower noise floor and exposure of low level info. As mentioned above there should be no distinction between  low level detail and musicality, and there hasn't been with 005 in system. IME, 005 abilities or potential in both areas marches in lock step. While my ambient noise levels haven't changed, I find lower volume listening more satisfying with upgrades and resulting lower system noise floor.

With my recent insertion of Jantzen inductors in Klipschorn crossovers, all possible system upgrades I planned some years ago have come to an end, nothing more to optimize. The crazy thing is I'm sure 005, and 16/44 digital has even more to give, I feel as though I'm leaving something on the table.  No sins of commission here, only curiosity about possible sins of omission. At this point, I'd likely receive greatest benefit from lowering ambient noise floor, unfortunately, not really possible in present dedicated listening room. Getting into 20db territory really takes heroic efforts.

That would be good. We really need comparative reviews of 005 against Holo May and dacs above Holo price point. I previously owned Okto Dac8 stereo which was comparatively reviewed against Weiss in Stereophile and did relatively well considering the price differential. Okto dac can't even keep up with orders, last I heard no longer taking orders. Well, the 005 is quite a bit better than Okto IME. So, where does that take 005?
R2R dacs all the rage these days, delta sigma old news. Then Musetec does no marketing, no wonder relatively unknown. My take on this dac having now owned over a period of time and exposed to further upgrades to my streaming solution is it is extremely revealing and transparent, fully capable of exposing the most extremely low level information contained in recordings. It can be ruthlessly revealing, yet also capable of presenting real live beings performing music into your room. Very fine line between the two. I've now experienced the ruthlessly revealing and had to bring my system back a notch on the revealing aspect. I'm going to assume only the top tier dacs can deliver this kind of resolution, transparency without going into ruthlessly revealing mode. Never know for sure until we have some comparative reviews.
I really doubt Gustard plays in same league as 005, likely more in Okto dac8 range. Still, any comparative reviews would be good to help ascertain 005 place in hierarchy of dacs.
Bypassing usb could be good thing if theoretical advantages of alternative inputs were actually implemented, not always the case.
Good for you, your result is what I'd expect. 005 stands on its own as a high resolution piece capable of presenting performers in room sensation with natural timbre and balanced tonality. At least one comparison review found it at least on par with Holo May L2, I found it substantially better than Okto Dac8 stereo, which has been favorably reviewed in comparison to Weiss dac, and is currently not even available due to excessive demand. Only more widely distributed comparison reviews against better competition will gain this dac the recognition it deserves.

Sorry, just re-read my latest posts. I meant to say OpticalRendu not UltraRendu, totally different beasts!

I use 005 with Coincident 845 SET, custom built 300B monoblocks and modded Prima Luna Dialogue Four, used with SED EL34, Coincident Statement preamp, which uses 101D direct heated tube, greatly modded Klipschorns.

I've not heard any semblance of glare, but particular sound qualities can vary depending on  which amp and particular tubes I'm using in both amp and pre. I've taken great pains to have both highly resolving system while maintaining natural timbre, really fanatical in regard to timbre. I've also been fanatical about clean AC and proper ground system, room treatments.

I only mention above as to attention to details required to get best out of this dac.  While I've not experienced glare or other bothersome sound qualities, I wouldn't characterized this dac as forgiving, but neither is it analytical, how about neutral in regard to overall gestalt. In my system, 005 is both highly resolving and natural, even analog like with well recorded streams or cd rips. It will reflect recording quality in deserved manner, having said that, I have no problems with vast majority of recordings.

005 will be higher resolving than present Spring,  you'll hear the poorer qualities of some recordings, price you'll always pay with higher resolving pieces. On the positive side, best qualities of middling recordings alway outshine the poorer qualities, makes them very involving. This dac will never sound boring, always demands my attention, even at lower volumes. Best thing I can say about it, brings live performers into my room with every listening session. This has a lot to do with it's microdynamic capabilities, this dac breathes, I suspect supercapacitors in power supply have a lot to do with this.

I'd like to think this would synergize well with your system, although I can't know your sensitivity to higher freq's. Some claim Klipsch bright, perhaps 005 would be bothersome with my Klipschorns if stock. No doubt your AR and Proac is high resolving, 005 will absolutely increase all your setup's good aspects. However, if you hearing any defects, 005 will also increase those as well.

Which Sabre chip dacs have you heard or owned in past?

@yyzsantabarbara  Good for you! Keep us informed with listening impressions.

I have Singxer SU6, usb to I2S converter, supercapacitor power supply, configurable pins so works with all dacs. I've had this thing from beginning of my ownership of 005, still yet to try as usb in on 005 sounds great so no motivation.

I see much effort in optimization of usb input on 005, I've also optimized my usb solution out of server, all serving to minimize noise and jitter.  I2S input on 005 afterthought in comparison.  Moving to I2S adds another box and all it's circuitry and another cable, logic dictates  added noise.

Optimizing network likely benefits all dac, I'd expect IsoRegen to do same for 005. Even the optimized usb input of 005 benefits from usb renderers such as Sotm, UptoneUSB regen, and others.

In past week I've received a package of two tubes shipped directly from Shenzhen China, Fedex seven days, another single tube from Hong Kong via DHL, six days. Over thirty years I've shipped or received much audio equipment to/from Asia, Europe, Canada, only recall single incidence of having to pay duty. With DHL,UPS, Fedex, shipping company is the broker, never extra broker fees. If import/export documents filled out properly should never have problem. It would be rare occurance if merchadise shipped was opened by customs, found to be severly undervalued and seized or demands for higher duty. Electronics purchased from China valued up to $800 are exempt from duty.

Now, all bets off with postal services, they don't act as broker, may or may not go through without problem. Couple years ago I had turntable power supply I purchased from Australia sit in US customs for over two months, no tracking documents, no answers from US customs. Figuring it lost or stolen, purchased another ps, the original shows up without notice just after 2nd ps purchased, over $500 needlessly spent. Not having shipping company acting as broker leaves you at mercy of customs in all countries. Answer, never ship out of country with USPS unless low value item.

I don't doubt I2S preference is valid by some, usb has some inherent liabilities and even more in it's implementation. I2S is what it is, every dac on par using this input, the variables would be DDC and cable used. USB requires optimal implementation in both dac, server or server/streamer, cable, add lps. Easy to understand variable impressions of usb sound quality based on large variability in implementation.

@wharfy I prefer slow L, I for one would be interested in your impressions of Singxer and I2S into 005. I have Singxer SU-6, haven't tried yet since usb sound quality has been so enjoyable. If you reported positive results I'd be motivated to try SU-6.

All inputs on all dacs converted to I2S, I2S protocol is inherent to all dacs. The supposed advantage of I2S conversion prior to dac is to bypass this conversion process within dac, some claim bypassing that conversion within lends itself to sound quality improvements.

While that may be true, external I2S converters may have their own issues, you're adding a fair amount of complexity with external conversion. Also, in case of 005, usb has top notch optimization. The only thing I'm not quite sure of, is there variable quality of I2S inputs on dacs? Being a native protocol within dacs, I'm not sure there can be any quality variability with I2S inputs.

I'm experiencing my own burn in issues with two Psvane Acme 300B in amps,and two Linlai Elite 101D tubes in  Coincident Statement pre. Big boost in resolving powers with Acme vs former Shuguang 300B.

This is as much a test of 005 as amp and pre. Since getting 005 I've been on quest to maximize overall system resolving powers in order to determine if 005 has some defect or defects I can illuminate with increasing resolution. At this point only 25 hours on Psvane, 15 on Linlai, so far two four hour listening sessions, first listening session very fatigued by end, second listening session fatigue lessened, but still there. With last session I heard a bit more bloom about two hours in. Someone less experienced with power tube burn in may describe what I'm hearing as digititus, blame dac. I can only say sheer resolving powers of 005 and upgraded system are such that the fatigue I'm experiencing by end of session is as much due to overwhelming sense of immersion, density of sound waves throughout room. I've long had sense of performers in room in my setup, this has been greatly heightened since 005, and recent tubes. I now feel as though I can reach out and touch performers, very surreal.

All this makes me wonder about resolving limits of 16/44 and 005. How deeply can  005 plunge the depths of resolution available with cd quality recordings? For anyone contemplating purchase of 005, sheer resolution and micro dynamic realism are it's calling cards. Still determining whether this is accompanied by  quality of timbre, tonality. It must have natural color  for long term enjoyment. Some tricks are easier to accomplish than others, we shall see.

My last great cd transport was Mark Levinson #37, when it died never found equal trans., motivated me to try streaming. Never looked back, cd rips were better than cd's over my last transport. Having said that, look at the new ProJect CD Box RS2 if keeping with cd transport. This designed by same guys who developed Phillips Pro transport in ML #37, lots of rave reviews for this. I give great credence to those reviews.

One could use rca out, I believe balanced/XLR superior. RCA or SPDIF in not 005 optimized in, usb superior, still possible to use the rca.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/does-a-ripped-cd-onto-a-digital-format-sound-better-than-the-cd-played  This previous discussion about rips vs. transport.

I believe it has a lot to do with quality of transport, the less jitter induced here the better. Mark Levinson #37 I previously owned  and died would have given rips a good run for the money.

Playing my 2500 cd's from rips so much better than physically searching through that muddle, only took me something like a year of off and on ripping to get all on NAS, terrible ordeal.

@jc4659 I use Audioquest Diamond usb, just tape off 5v power pin on this or any usb with power. Special order usb without power available from some manufacturers. Worthwhile to get rid of noise injected into dac. Some dacs don't need the 5v power, but need the handshake so needs to remain intact, 005 not needed.

If I understand you correctly, added clocking may or may not be desirable, usb clocking within 005 is top notch. My recent less than good experience with added clocking did not go well. At this very moment in contact with owner/operator of Network Acoustics, discussing this very issue of clocking. Looks like I'll be trying their Eno filter, very well reviewed here!

Update on my tube burn in. Tubes beginning to come in just now, bloom just underway, 005 sounding better than ever. Already even more natural timbre along with added resolving powers of boutique tubes. 005 magnificent, and to think more bloom on way! And so, yet to find a single fault of this dac,

@ja_kub_sz  Cd rips don't sound any better than streams on my setup. Optimizing network makes all the difference with streams.

I'm also agnostic about his res vs 16/44. I'm continually amazed by how much more information extracted with  system upgrades, thought I was at limit of 16/44 years ago. Still waiting to hear 16/44 resolving limit.

I2S vs usb, until someone actually uses I2S with 005, only speculation. I have capability of running I2S, no motivation since 005 with usb so good. Whatever, its just a matter of tradeoffs, external vs internal I2S conversion.

Melm, thanks for correcting me on handshake, brain fade.

Fiber conversion post server is certainly up there in effectiveness. Other galvanic isolation devices such as Uptone etherregen, Network Acoustics Neo filter, many others. I'm about to try the Neo. Always use linear power supplies with any network devices, cool thing about Neo is no power cord needed, passive device. My experience and many others has been network optimization post server most important.

I have Singxer SU-6, hdmi cable goes into 005. SU-6 has configurable pin outs on hdmi as there is no standard for hdmi inputs on dacs.

Who knows when it comes to clocks, lots of differing opinions, I'm still gathering information on this since bad experience with clock.  I'd upgrade usb feed with renderers before I'd mess with added clocks. Devices like SOTM SMS200, Uptone USB regen, many others. USB is easily most optimized input with 005, wonderful sound quality all of getting with usb testament to it's quality.

My take on most effective optimized feed from server to 005 would be server>FMC(fiber) > usb renderer(many choices) >005. This would be fundamentals of great streaming feed, everything else icing on cake.

@arafiq  You're correct, mixing up my SOTM SMS200 Neo.

@yyzsantabarbara  Yes indeed. I suspect audiophile fiber enabled network devices on way soon, I see present devices as consumable items, audiophile network innovations coming fast and furious. Makes one stop and wonder how much money to throw at this? But then we do want to maximize sq in the present.

To take advantage of fiber 006 would have to be streamer of course, not sure all dac manufacturers have engineering prowess to create streamer dac. Another good thing would be to have all network devices have own internal linear power supply. When I think how simplified optimized streaming could be made assuming internal linear power supplies and fiber enabled, audiophile router or switch>server>steamer dac. That's all, three  pieces and you have it!