Mozart-Clarinet Quintet

Mozart loved the Clarinet, which was invented during his lifetime.  Many of his Symphonies and Piano Concertos exist in versions with and without clarinets, because the instrument was so new that many orchestras of the time didn’t have players.

Mozart wrote his three works featuring the instrument for one of his friends and drinking buddies.  The guy actually played a basset clarinet, which has an ugly looking appendage that is cumbersome to hold and completely spoils the looks of the elegant clarinet that we know.  It fell out of favor but importantly for Mozart’s pieces, it could go an octave lower than the traditional instrument.  The Basset Clarinet was resurrected by the Historically Informed crowd, and many passages that sound awkward on regular clarinets suddenly make sense on the basset.

The Quintet shows Mozart’s love of instrumental color.  He frequently mutes the strings and has the clarinet playing ghostly harmonies against ethereal strings.  Those passages alternate with sprightly dance like passages.  I love this piece and it is one of the most popular chamber music works.

My first recording featured Harold Wright, former Boston SO Principal, with assorted greats from the Marlboro Festival in Vermont.  My second and all time favorite is the Academy of Ancient Music Chamber Music Players.  I have several others and in general I prefer the ones with the Basset Clarinet.  
  Also check out the. Mozart Clarinet Concerto and the Skittles Trio

mahler123

Thanks for that, just ordered the Academy of Ancient Music Chamber Music Players version.

I'm going to demur, and say that the first clarinets, made by Denner, appeared around 1700, 50 years or so before Mozart was born.  I believe Vivaldi was the first composer to call for clarinets in a composition.  Of course that Denner clarinet was pretty primitive and only had a couple of keys; various other makers and players had to work on its development over the course of the 18C to turn it into the kind of instrument capable of doing justice to the Mozart quintet, or for that matter the Kegelstatt trio or the concerto.

The recording by the Talich Quartet on the Calliope label won many awards in Europe.

Cheers