Most Tedius Part of Audiodom Setup/Tweak/DIY ?

Hi, guys,

the moment we audiophiles step foot (feet for those who JUMP in) into the madness called high-end audio, we are bound to become more and more hands-on kind of people, for various reasons.

The level of hands-on experience can range from the common excercises like speaker placement or feet replacement for electronics to building one's own amps or speaker cabinets.

While the successful execution of any of these "labor of love" will put smile on our faces, the labor itself can be boring, time consuming, dangerous (!), and/or sometimes downright difficult.

What do you feel has been the most memorably painful/tedious experience as hands-on audiophiles?

Thank you,

David
wonjun
Speaker placement & equipment support. As I'm not a builder unlike Bob above, tuning the equip through supports has always been the worst. Move a cone and the sound shifts, add mass, and there it goes again. Not better or worse, just different. Then move the speakers to adjust to the new tuning, then back again... ad nauseam. Add to that my laziness in such matters, and the result is mega tedium.

During such (rare nowadays) tweaking sessions I usually just give up half way and listen to the music...!

Cheers!
I agree that disassembling/reassembling a system to move it to another room or another location in the room, or to put it all on a new rack is the WORST. Somehow I always end up w/bruised fingers from slamming my hand into the wall unplugging tight interconnects from a too-tight space, plus the lower back ache that lasts for a couple of days! The worst experience in audio I have had to date was moving into my townhouse. I had to disassemble and pack up 3 systems, 3000 CDs, 1000 LPs, and 250 LDs and DVDs. Plus two TVs. I swear I will never move again. I am here for life.
Hi, guys,

thanks for responding.

Garfish: yes, speaker location IS very important and CAN be very time consuming. In my studio apartment, there is a side wall next to the left speaker but none on the right side. Also, behind the speakers is a wall-width blinder, which is always only half-closed. One result of this "elephant man" of an acoustic space is that the voice is always shifted to far right. I had to spend many days fiddling with 70 lbs.-per-side speakers before I started getting a centered voice. Until I got it right, I thought it would never happen. Talk about a dark tunnel.

Centurymantra: I know about tearing a system down and setting it up at a new spot. No one could PAY ME to do it. It's the PASSION ALONE that makes me do it. Your setup seems to require quite a bit more work than mine, though, since I don't really have an audiophile rack, although I do have amp stands.

Bob bundus: Right now, I'm on the verge of tweakazoid/DIY border. I would like to take it slow with DIY. I'm currently trying out different vintage fullrange single-drivers--the ones with high efficiency for mating with SET's. For their cabinets, I'm looking feverishly on Ebay for the suitable plug-n-play (also vintage) cabinets that are reasonably placed. This is the reason I only buy round drivers with standard diameters (8" or 12") and not oval or 10" drivers.

Thank you,

David
Strangely enough, I love to do all of the tasks mentioned above. Turntables are probably the most frustrating component, mostly because of the cartridge. But even still, I don't really mind. What is the most tedious, least fun and frustrating experience is the break-in. I mean, what is worse than busting your stones doing all of the wonderful exercisies everyone has mentioned above this post, only to have to walk away until such a time as is necessary to come and go before you can expect an accurate and consistent result from your system. In other words, you don't in most cases get to play with your toys after all of that work. Not until they've broken in. And I think for most audiophiles, that has to be the worst. Let's face it, most of us never got over Christmas. The excitement of new ownership of that prized toy we want so badly is at least partially responsible, or part of the high that goes with this hobby. I know all too well it is for me.
So, for the most tedious, frustrating and mind-numbing tweak of all, I vote for the break-in.
All of the following can be a REAL bear in my experience in no specific order:

1) assembling very tall threaded rod racks with quite a few shelves. MAN, that is a LOT of spinning and tightening of nuts & washers, etc...

2) Installing / routing / relocating a large system, i.e. a big HT system with two million cables can really have you pulling your hair out and speaking French ( "PARDON my French"...).

3) Speaker placement. Need i say more ??? Probably the most elusive "fine art".

4) TT set up. Not just setting up the cartridge but making sure that it is DEAD level, well isolated, etc... Kind of fun and a challenge though...

5) Trying to track down and correct room resonances, rattles, flexing in suspended floors, etc... Just as you get one situation straightened out, you can now hear or notice other things that seem to become just as annoying or bothersome.

6) Trying to install a system for someone that is not well versed in the fine art of "tweaking" i.e. a non-audiophile or beginner. They just don't understand what you're doing or how it will help. Especially the part about "why are the speakers out there" or "why are you moving the speakers SO much"... That is, until they hear the end results.

Sheesh, after all of that, do i REALLY enjoy all of this or am i just a glutton for punishment ??? : ) Sean
>