Most Musical 6NS7 tube for a Preamp?

A request for recommendations by those with experience with different 6SN7 tubes.

My system so far is a Pass Labs XA25 SS Amp, and a circa 1988 Tannoy FSMs.
The speakers operate at 4 ohms with a 94 sensitivity.

The room size is medium. Acoustically well treated.

I listen at lower volumes 60-75db. Vocals mostly.

I am looking for the most musical preamp, with a remote.

Budget is $3k. Used preferred. Better value.

Not considering anything from Schiit Audio.

Considering- Supratek Chardonnay.

Any other suggestions?

Tube Ideas?

Thank you!
chorus

On the 6NS7 tubes, I bought the Don Sach’s Valhalla amp with upgraded Linlai 6NS7 tubes and they sound great. I was able to compare them to the "stock" tubes sent with that amp and they were much better, in my opinion. I haven’t tried the E series of those tubes but I will when these tubes no longer function. There is at least one thread on these tubes. They are larger tubes so you might have to use socket extender(s) to fit them in.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/linlai-e-6sn7-tubes

I just pulled the trigger on (2) matched ’poor mans’ Marconi 6SN7’s, the Canada Marconi 6SN7 5692 6SN7GTB Copper Rods 3 Holes code date 1952. Right now I have matched 1940’s (1) Sylvania 6SN7W metal base and (1) Sylvania 6SN7GT metal base in my LTA Microzotl MZ3. I’m also in the works with Andy of Vintage Tube Services to purchase (2) Matched Sylvania 6SN7GT 1952 ’Bad Boys’.

@ptrck887 thank you, thank you, thank you, for taking the time and effort to patiently walk me through the educational process to get the right tube. After comparing the picture of the Canada (Marconi) GE 6SN7 5692 6SN7GTB Copper Rods 3 Holes tube with the Canada Marconi 6SN7 5692 6SN7GTB Copper Rods 3 Holes code date 1952, they were identical. The Canada Marconi’s 6SN7 5692 6SN7GTB tubes are taller than other 6SN7’s and that’s when I knew I had the right tube. It was just the luck of the draw that the Canada Marconi 6SN7 5692 6SN7GTB tube is dated 1952. And another good thing is the (2) Canada Marconi’s only cost me $170 US including tax and shipping with a 30 day return policy.

The Canada Marconi’s were bought out of country so it’s going to take a while for me to get them and burn/run them in, but I will keep everyone posted.

Here is a link to Canada Marconi 6SN7 5692 6SN7GTB for tube(s) reference: The Reference 6SN7 Thread - Canada Marconi - page 641

Thanks tyray,

Once you have them and get them burned in let me know how they sound in your MZ3!

Enjoy

A friend lent me a box of 6SN7s to try in my Supratek.

Most of the preferred older ones were there including the Ken Rad VT231,Brimar CV1988,RCA Grey etc .My pick was the Toshiba 6SN7 GB.The most neutral,open ,clean and detailed.Second was probably the Ken Rad VT231.What is best though probably comes down to your system.If you want a big meaty sound then the RCA Grey are like that.Some people say voluptuous.Not neutral though.

I myself did a period of tube rolling with both Vintage and New Valves as well as Russian Equivalent types.

My assessment as a result of demonstration and comparison, has shown, it is quite possible to create a few different end sonics, but if maintaining the perception that the Details, Dynamics and Envelope is being kept to a attractive level. Not all Valves selected that can change the end sound to one that can be lived with are capable of maintaining the above three attractive traits. There are compromises to be made.

The Coherence across the frequencies is a similar decision to be made. Tight Rolled off Bass Notes with a push to project the upper mid's upper high's / Loose Bass which is heading from very precent to overwhelming with the impact of subdued Upper Frequency through to the perception these frequencies are quashed.

Somewhere in this perception of Sounds Produced and their Structure there is a Valve that one individual will love or loath.

I chose the Ken Rad Black VT231 as the Valve to offer a honest Roll of in the Bass and allow the Mid's and Upper frequencies to be balanced in the frequency range. Added to this, the Details, Dynamics and Envelope are in my view a structure to the sound that is present to a very attractive level.

Tube Rolling can offer an immediate noticeable change to an end sound, as Valve exchanges occur. It is this sound difference only that is recognised and the other important qualities of how the end sound is structured can be overlooked, these qualities in some cases will start to manifest after a period of Valve Warm Up.

Valve when being assessed are needing a decent period of Warm Up, to let the settlement happen and for them to show their sweet spot, at least if it is a Valve that possesses a Sweet Spot. 

I am not recommending a Valve, certainly not, the Valve of choice, in the condition wanted is as rare as Hens Teeth.

I am recommending time is allowed for each Valve used to manifest on to its better self.