Most desirable vacuum tubes for SET amps

Dear All,

Which is the most sought after tube for Single Ended Triode (SET) amps & why? Here’s few usual candidates. Please pick your choice from the list or add your own favorite tube name here.

300B
2A3
6C33C
GM70
PX25

Thanks
-M
manojrc
atmasphere - always enjoy reading your informative posts.  What do you think about OTL SET amps/integrateds, and the most desirable triode tube in that instance?  (I have a Vinnie Rossi L2iSE).
 What do you think about OTL SET amps/integrateds, and the most desirable triode tube in that instance?  (I have a Vinnie Rossi L2iSE).
When you eliminate the output transformer, you eliminate with it the reason to have an SET. Its the way the SET makes distortion that makes them interesting to listen to; at low power their distortion is so low as to be unmeasurable- and this is the source of their 'inner detail'.

One argument that has been made for the last 30 years is that SETs sound better since there is no 'phase splitter'. That argument is hard to prove out in practice since there are so many variables involved! How many people have heard a push pull amplifier using exactly the same tube complement as their SET?? One thing I can state here is that they certainly won't be able to make that comparison if the amp is transformerless! DHTs have far too high a plate resistance value to be successfully used in an OTL, unless a number are used. We made a 300b-based OTL about 25 years ago that used four 6300b graphite-plate power tubes to make about 7 watts. Four 6AS7Gs (which are indirectly heated triodes) did a better job.

Recently and just for fun I've been designing a push-pull ultralinear tube amp that makes 5 watts/channel (ostensibly for my bedroom system, although it would make a good desktop or headphone amp too). Often when SETs are compared to push-pull amps the P-P amp makes a lot more power. I am interested to see what happens when the power levels are the same.
Definitely the "Thoriated Tungsten Filament" family as 211, 811A, 845, GM70.
If you are after impact, clarity, and soundstage more than after a lush sound and coloration there is no escape from these.

Jan

Interesting comment, maybe why so many like the sound of the Elrog 300B which feature the tungsten filament.