Moscode 402au vs Butler TDB2250 vs McIntosh MC275

I am using a McIntosh MC275 with an Aesthetix Calypso preamplifier and Sehring 703 speakers (86dB at 8 ohms). The Mac has great mid-range timbre, detail, and high end extension, but the bass and soundstage width could be better. I primarily am a fan of rock music, but find I mainly listen to more laid back music (Norah Jones, Feist) with the Mac because hard rock doesn't sound all that convincing. So I am looking to buy either the Moscode 402au or the Butler TDB2250 to replace the Mac, having read good comments about both hybrids, hoping for better bass and soundstage without sacrificing too much mid-range warmth.

OK, long preamble over...has anyone compared the MC275 to the Moscode or Butler? Any thoughts or advice?
mcondon

Showing 2 responses by pdreher

I used to have an MC275 MK V with NOS signal tubes paired with the Calypso preamp with NOS tubes. It was the best combination of separates I have ever owned. If you are like me, you will miss them when they are gone. If you can swing it, you really should consider getting a second MC275 as I think they are very special amps and offer great bang for the buck. I only switched because I wanted to go with a one box integrated amp, and I did not care for the awkward appearance / ergonomics of the MC275. I'm currently in the process of moving back to tube separates because I want more power to drive my big Harbeth's.

If you must go with solid state, suggest you consider staying with McIntosh (maybe MC352 or 402) so you can keep the Mac midrange & fullness.
Mcondon - The first integrated I tried after separates was a Musical Fidelity Nuvista M3... a big disappointment. I knew instantly that it was all bling, with little substance... I listed it within 3 days of getting it. Even ended up paying the next owner to get it's caps replaced, even though the guy I had bought it from had just had similar repairs done 6 months prior.

Next, I went back to McIntosh and used the MA2275 tube integrated for about 3 months. The MA2275 is a very nice integrated. I really liked it... excellent build quality and very good sound. It just did not provide enough drive for my big Harbeth's and did not have the transparency or soundstage that I had grown accustomed to with my previous favorite separates setup (MC275 MKV & Aesthetix Calypso). I doubt I will ever down-grade again unless it's out of financial necessity.