Montreal Audio Show - anyone hear the FR30’s?

I heard they made a big splash and received applause but wondering if anyone here had the oppty this weekend to hear them ? 

aj523

Showing 5 responses by kren0006

And when one of the speaker manufacturer’s main businesses is higher power amplifiers, even less incentive, perhaps even negative incentive

Well that same sentiment then applies to every other speaker company that released a speaker in last 10 years??? Complaint makes no sense.

Anyway, they are open to some potential criticism - e.g., price escalation when original projection was $8k, then $15k, landed at $28k; built in China when company had long prided itself on made-in-USA and perhaps most expensive speaker that is built in China, certainly most expensive speaker from US company, etc., but I wouldn’t criticize them for not including room correction - that’s kinda random.

Regardless, the most important thing is how it sounds, and does it sound better than the competition at $28k. I haven’t heard so can’t comment. Wish it would be at Axpona because since no US dealers can’t really hear it anywhere, unfortunately.  It's an ambitious effort for an amp/regenerator/dac company who had never made a speaker before, so I give them credit for trying

Ok, I stand corrected on that, thanks. Do they assemble them? I know that each speaker ships in two boxes, the base portion and the upper portion. I assumed that they do not assemble them because the PSA site provides assembly instructions, but I could be wrong about that also (don't think so tho, I think you have to assemble yourself).

Really too bad that they won’t be at Axpona, agree with previous comment.

They don’t "set up" the speakers, per se. They don’t even take them out of the shipping boxes. They wheel them into your listening room in the boxes. You have to assemble. So "white glove" perhaps but all it means is they bring the boxes from your step to your room - after that you’re on your own. It’s not like Wilson where Wilson assembles and does hours of listening tests to position the speakers optimally, for example. Not criticizing the service, just keeping it real - it is what it is.

It's audio speakers, not rocket science.  There are almost never massive technology leaps.  It isn't a fast moving technology space, to say the least.  Pretty unrealistic expectation if that is what your bar is.