Monitor speakers pros/cons

I am looking for general pros and cons to monitor type speakers(ie. not full range) vs the floor standing "fuller" range types. Application being 50% 2ch and 50% HT use. Price range $5000-$10k ish for the front mains. New/used this basic range.

I am wondering if to get a true sub 45hz speaker this range, one might need to spend more. Or with this price range one might be better off going with the monitor speakers. Has anybody dumped a lot of money into monitors, and if so what were the results. Also with general room limitations(less than 600sq feet) are the full size models just an honest over kill, and would the monitors interact with the room better?

Trying to learn..
Thanks
Marty
marty9876

Showing 3 responses by marty9876

I should have added more specific information, the processor is a Simaudio Attraction with stereo sub outs.

The subs currently are HSU VTF-3's(pair) and a VTF-2 on the center run from line level inputs. Might pick up a Outlaw ICMB and only use it only for the center.

Without going to unbalanced cables(the HSU are unbalanced)and using the subs crossover, which I think is a bad idea in practice, correct if I am wrong, the processor would be doing the crossovers. Or I could use the Outlaw for all the crossovers, I just don't think that would be a good idea. I would like to avoid using an outboard crossover.

I guess the analog bypass would be out the window in in this case.

If I crossed the subs at 90hz or 80hz could this overload the subs? I generally try cross as low as possible. The processor has x points at 50,65,80,90 and up.

I know the subs are not the best, just when you want to run stereo thing cost twice as much. Funny how that works...:)

Thanks all
Marty
In general, less than 500sq feet. The average room size, 600 is getting pretty big.
Room size is only a general factor. I am sure I would be moving some day. No married so I just have at it.

I really am looking for new speakers and am wondering what a better route might be. It seems that the less cabnet one buys, the better the drivers/design might be. Also with HT if I already am using subs, why not use them all the time.

Thanks all
Marty