Monitor Audio Silver 7i for $500, or newer spkrs?

Hi all,

I'm putting together a new turntable system built around a Rega RP3 with Ortofon 2M Blue. Lately I've been trying to narrow down my speaker selection and have been wondering about this older pair of Monitor Audio floor-standers I came across on my local Craigslist. A guy near me has a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 7i https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH3Mtm-47MTm1DBxtTPVZeNnLB8Kav2R5pSJYy-3BbynBPj1rq7A that he's selling for $500. I know Monitor Audio is very well regarded with their current Silver line, but this one looks to be over 12 years old, but is in good condition nonetheless, from what I can tell. Is this a good deal? He was initially asking $700 and claims these sold for $1400 originally. These have been kept in climate-controlled storage for the last several years.

Would a Monitor Audio Silver 7i still sound as good as the current silver series speakers, or would I be better off putting the same $500 into a pair of current-model speakers of some sort? Assuming these had no issues, how close would these come to the performance of today's versions?

Many thanks for the advice!!!
dmcs414
With all due respect to the previous poster, you can also do better with speakers like paradigm studio, JBL studio monitors 4412, or L100, or ADS speakers.
I don't see how you can go wrong. I used to have the Silver 8's and thought they were a great speaker. For $500 you can do a lot worse.