MoFi controversy

I see this hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I thought I'd put this out here.  Let me just say that I haven't yet joined the analog world, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

It was recently revealed that Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs one step LPs are being cut from digital masters (DSD) rather than being straight analog throughout the chain.

Here is one of the many Youtube videos that discusses it

To me, it seems that if MOFI is guilty of anything, it's "deception by omission."  That is, they were never open about the process and the use of digital in the chain. 

One thing to mention is that hardly anyone is criticizing the sound quality of these LPs, even after this revelation.  Me personally, I wouldn't spend over one hundred dollars for any recording regardless of the format.

ftran999

Very good start!  I love the product and will continue to buy it. It sounds very good.  Now, let's see how they live up to their word with total transparency and authenticity.

That statement needs to be on more than just Instragram.  I'll check their website in the morning.  They have a wonderful opportunity to market themselves, all over again.

@mammothguy54 Mofi has been updating the albums on their site with analog or DSD sources little by little. I'd say within a few days all the albums (future, past, and present) will be updated.

So on the MoFi website, it seems as though the one steps are the records affected by the digital process.  They discuss the ultradisc Gain 2 process and there is no mention of digital DSD, only on the One Steps.  They use a Studer tape machine Etc.   So those are probably all analogue.  They do say super analog. 

I'm guessing the site will be complete soon. The Washington Post is getting ready to drop a story on this and MoFi will want all their ducks in a row when that happens

So nowadays new vinyl means DSD master file at the very beginning. Nice to know.