Modification Nightmares

I believe people have been modifying their equipment long enough to tell us who is worth it and who is not.People should be aware of all policies and all the fine print.I dont think some of these guys realize it takes the aveage person months to save up $2000 or more.
john
mclsound
My cd player was modified by Dan for seven years now,no
problem,He does a good job.Honest man.
it has been almost 100 days since i sent my player out for a mod and i will now by this wknd how to evaluate the whole story
john
Hi there.

I would classify "modders" into 2 groups:

1. Low-tech: primarily changes the parts
2. High-tech: re-clocks, adds a tube output stage etc...

As you can guess, the skill and end result, sonic performance is most likely greater with 2. than 1.
As a modder, the first thing I tell people is if you are not happy with what you have, upgradding or modifying it will not turn in into something it's not.

I also recommend people spend some time with a product in stock form before investing in what can be expensive mods.

Modifications/upgrades can usually bring out more of the hidden potential a unit has.
My issue with modding is simple-shipping and having my product in modders care, custody and control.

Not worth the hassle to me. Once my gear gets in my sound room safely - it stays there.

Insurance in shipping is very difficult to recover after a loss-ACV (actual cash value-value is depreciated, etc-and tough to just plain collect). And, never seen a modder offer to give customer a certificate of insurance showing they are covering component fully while on thier premises. If they did have coverage, it would still suffer depreciation. Imagine having an MR78, cost new - a few hundred dollars - value today maybe a grand and 20 years old. You would receive the original cost less 20 years worth of depreciation.

Just my thoughts.