Might try a tube preamp

I’ve been toying with the idea of giving tubes a try and thought I would start with a tube preamp running to my SS amp and see how I liked it.    

After reading reviews and looking through some of the posts here on Audiogon I’ve been thinking of a LTA micro ZOTL or rogue audio RP-7 - each around $5k.   Thoughts on these?  

Or would I be better off looking for something else used here on Audiogon?  Maybe a ARC Ref 5 or LS-28?  I’m pretty new to tubes so am open to options.

Thanks
rshad0000

Showing 3 responses by rshad0000

Yep, I’m looking for a little more sweetness and air for female vocals in particular.

I currently have a Gryphon Diablo 300 being fed by a Chord Dave and focal speakers(I need to update my virtual system in my profile).  

May seem strange, but I was thinking of just running the Tube pre theough my Home theater bypass on my integrated.   I love the Diablo, but thought it might be nice to use a tube pre for those times I’m looking for a different sound.   Is this crazy to do?  

Plus would give me a chance to see if I truly like the tube sound before going all in.    

No analog, I will be feeding it from a Aurender N10 and the Chord.  I’d like to keep the cost below $5k.  Thanks
Thanks for all of the great suggestions.  I’ll certainly try using the Chord as a preamp as that will be easy to do.   I already have input 3 on the Gryphon set up as pass through for home theater anyway.

I also like th idea of getting a tube pre on a trial basis.    I haven’t heard much on the Freya.