Micro SX-8000 II or SZ-1

Does anybody know if there is a mayor difference between the Micro-Seiki SX-8000 II and the "flagship" SZ-1?
A friend told me I should look for a SZ-1 because it offers a better motor. Having a SX-8000 II I am not shure whether it is worth looking for a SZ-1 or only for another motor-unit?
thuchan

Showing 2 responses by 11flat6

hi Thuchan, sorry to revive an old thread. was wondering if I could get your thoughts/opinions on various flywheel configurations with Micro SX tables.

I have a Micro HS-80 flywheel & agree this helps "stabilize the sound picture". my platter speed has always been consistent (& without noticeable fluctuation) when used with Micro RY5500 motor & Micro Kevlar or silk thread.

do you think the benefits of replacing the Micro RY5500 motor with VPI SDS/dual-motor flywheel is primarily due to its built-in flywheel? (just as Micro SZ-1M flywheel-motor used for Micro SZ-1T)

do you think VPI SDS/dual-motor flywheel results in HS-80 flywheel becoming redundant, or do you find there's even more stability when both flywheels are employed?

have you experimented with different belts, threads, etc. between your VPI flywheel & Micro platter?

also interested to hear your comparisons of SX-8000 II vs. SZ-1T.
hi Peterayer, the same case (ie. speed instability) could technically be made if a turntable's motor, table & flywheel all rested on a single platform or shelf.
it's important to consider if motor, table, flywheel, & platform(s) beneath turntable & associated components are rigid or suspended.