Micro Seiki RX 5000

I just gor RX5000 from my uncle and I actualy wanna clean bearing and re-fill new oil for it, but I don'
t really know how to remove the platter from it frame. It's really heavy. Does anyone give me a clue for this?

Thx.
ritchiepok
You could try WD 40 and let it sit there till everything softens and hopefully just wipe off with a paper towel. It should be safe and non corrosive.
This is an excellent TT -- but the screw suggestion is likely to mar the gun-metal of the platter -- this is a pressure fit only. The trick is to heat the platter. Put a towel on the platter an pour boiling hot water on the towel. It should (maybe with WD-40) lift right off.

A note on the bearing -- Micro-Seiki used lead (Pb) "powder" in their oil -- it is very toxic, and should be handled with care. Before you go through the exercise of removing the oil and changing it, you should listen to bearing housing base with a stethoscope -- if the bearing moves freely,and is not noisy, just use it as is. Otherwise you will need to replicate the same original treatment - and use powdered lead (Pb) [available here - www.testbourne.com/materials/metals-details/3523-640/Lead-powder/ ] in your replacement oil. This is due to the spacing in the bearing, and I am not sure if graphite powder would be a good substitute, as graphite might etch or corrode the stainless steel -- whatever you do, use a "high molecular weight" oil -- or an impregnated one.

These are best driven with an aramid (Kevlar) string -- you can buy a 600yd spool at Edmund Scientific [scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3034863]

Enjoy -- I would also invest in this record weight -- TRITIUM POLISHED BRASS COPPER RECORD Clamp -- look on ebay fo it -- it REALLY makes a huge difference.

cfp
www.resfreq.com
You can polish it with any copper cleaner -- avoid anything too abrasive.

cfp
www.resfreq.com