MG12 QR Maggies with Mye stands, or 1.7i's with stock stands?

Hi all - first post here.  I'm in a quandary.  I have the MG 12 QR maggies with the DMW panel for bass.  Want to get the next step in sound, and was thinking of getting the Mye stands for them, but got to thinking if it wasn't better to upgrade to the 1.7i's.  Don't want to spend the $$ on the stands and then upgrade anyway.  

So - looking for opinions.  Would i get better sound out of stock 1.7i's or with the 12 QR's with the Mye stands?

Running Musical Fidelity A308 to drive them. (300W @ 4 ohms)

Thanks in advance for all your expertise!
nickthepet

Showing 1 response by gkr7007

Bought the 1.7s a couple years back and love them. I didn’t get custom stands but rising them off the floor a bit and changing tilt angle goes a long way. I, too, like to mod and I changed the high register cap to cut the glare. Changed out the lousy steel jumpers and connectors. Use newest model Anticable speaker cables. Drive them with custom Odyssey monos and a Don Sachs pre. Run high res downloads thru an all tube DAC with NOS tubes. I’m very happily listening to great music just about every night. Those 1.7 (i) are one of the best values in audio IMHO. Buy them.