Meter for measuring cable capacitance

Hello! I looking for a recommendation for a suitable capacitance meter. I own a Fluke 117 and although it has settings to measure capacitance, it doesn’t read cable(guitar cable) capacitance. Just reads “1” regardless of cable length. Not sure if this is because it doesn’t have a pico farad setting. Not sure. 

Thanks in advance!

ajd7531

It is “distributed capacitance” - you cannot measure it directly.  What you measure is a combination of capacitance, inductance and resistance of the cable.  I wouldn’t trust the meter, even when it displays sensible numbers.  There might be more complicated ways of multiple measurements at different frequencies and calculations, but I’ve never done it.  The best would be to get nominal capacitance per foot of the cable from manufacturer and adjust it (multiply) for the length.

Measure by putting a known capacitor (value) across the end of the cable and subtracting its value from the total.

I use an Excelvan M6013 for measuring capacitance of both guitar and audio cables.  It is inexpensive and available from Amazon.

The meter is a useful tool.  I’ve found guitar cable capacitance to noticeable affect the sound, especially direct into an amp. For reference, I primarily play a Telecaster into Fender amps.

@ajd7531 -

One nice thing about Amazon: if it doesn't work for you, whatever the reason, you can return it.