Melco N100 vs Sonore opticalrendu

Hi

I am currently using a laptop connected to my dac (denafrips terminator) and would like to upgrade my source. 

Being new to this, would like to ask for experience between melco N100 (paired with a plixir linear power supply) and sonore opticalrendu, as I have heard good things about both. 

Which would be better? And would I need to get a music server for the sonore? (To prevent the jitter/noise from my laptop to still dirty the stream going into the sonore?) 

Aiming for a larger and more relaxed soundstage, with darker background. Other benefits eg sweeter and softer mids, better imaging are of course appreciated :)

Thanks!

Regards
Ben
thegreenman

Showing 4 responses by thegreenman

hi @yyzsantabarbara 

thanks for sharing!

So does the noise/jitter from the dell server matter at all? Can I use a NAS drive with like synology to store my music and the opticalrendu to stream tidal/qobuz?

Or do I still need to get a proper music server to store and stream the music?

Thanks
Ben
@yyzsantabarbara 

Thanks for the clarification! :) yepp will definitely do more reading. What LPS are you using with the opticalrendu? The bundled one from sonore?

@ddafoe 

thanks for your input! ooh interesting! probably your bricasti M5 has already very good noise reduction built in that's why it fared better than the opticalrendu!

Hi thanks for your suggestion on the startech! Sorry I'm quite blur when it comes to tech stuff, so you plug the ethernet cable from your router into the startech, and with SFP ports it comes out as fibre? then after a fibre cable you buy another startech and convert it back to a ethernet cable and plug into the bricasti? 

Thanks!
Regards
Ben
@yyzsantabarbara 

Hahaha ooh naise! now I know what to get if I go the opticalrendu pathway! :)

Thanks!