McIntosh MX119 Surround Mode or Volume knob issues

I've had my MX119 for a few years now and it has worked great as my two channel preamp but the Surround Mode knob has always had a short in it or something.  It works but it skips around the modes until you land on the one you want.  Then its fine.  Now I'm having issues with the right channel not working 90% of the time.  I've checked that the amp is working like it should so I'm thinking the knobs on the preamp are done.  Question is has anyone out there had this problem and was it fixable for a reasonable price?  I only paid $1,300 for the MX119.  I asked the tech at Audio Classics if this was a common problem and he said they have not encountered it.  Have not spoken to McIntosh yet.
128x128purplejester
Looks like a nice unit, and you got it for a good price.

Sounds like a trip to McIntosh repair.

Just to rule it out: It worked well for a time that you did not return it to seller, correct?

I suggest you try/clarify things for yourself and to tell the tech.

Clean rear jacks and switch cables left to right, see if problem moves?

Does yours have McIntosh Mode Control: Stereo Reverse, L to L&R, etc.? You may get some clues or confirmation there.

My vintage equipment has controls that can be reached by removing the front panel. I hose the controls with contact cleaner/lube. Yours may all be electronic, I don't know anything about it.

Any possibility dust, tobacco smoke, cat hair, anything that could get in the front controls.
If it skips modes, it sounds like the internal momentary contact is not releasing as it should.

If your front knobs are activating electronic contacts on a circuit board, it is still possible to clean things: I have repaired many remote controls by disassembly, removal of rubber layers with buttons that make contact with contacts on circuit boards when pushed, some knobs that are sticky that stay down, ...

IOW, it's possible it's not the electronics, just the mechanics of the knobs, layers of rubber, printed circuit contacts.

Alcohol, brush ...