McIntosh MC611and MC1.25KW-how do they sound compared to 601's and 1.2KW

Long time selling and buying on Agon but first time positing.  Just sold my 1201's and was planning to upgrade to the 611's or the 1.25KW's. However, I am on hold now as I have heard from two sources that McIntosh has "re-voiced" the amps.  Both guys felt the high end was hard and difficult to listen to at anything above a whisper. Both guys sold their 1.25KW's within weeks. Does anyone have any experience either comparing these new amps to their predecessors and/or with similar mono blocks?

I really enjoyed the 1201's with my speakers. Just decided to change as we were moving and had to crate them up anyway. 

I have DynAudio C4 Platinum Confidence speakers, McIntosh C1100 pre. Linn TT with the full boat Linn treatment, etc. 

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. 
spl1992

Showing 1 response by spl1992

Thank you guys.  Went over to AA and the conversation is very positive for the change to the 611/1.25KW's from the 601/12K's. Looks like most listeners agree the amps are an improvement not a step backwards. Not sure why some guys think it sounds harder than the predecessor. Subjective issues are tough to quantify.
 I spoke with McIntosh and they state that the audio circuity is the same.  Changes were increased reserve in PS (increased headroom), meter lights and cosmetics. They state they did extensive listing tests with various speakers. To my mind it defies logic for a company like McIntosh to come out with a product that is not (at least) as good as the previous model.  I have been to the factory and know they are an engineering based manufacturer. I going to go with my gut and trust them. I will write up a review after they are on line and broken in.