Mcintosh MC462 versus Luxman M10X

I recently bought the mcintosh mc462 along with the mcintosh preamp mc53. After experiencing the Luxman CD player DX03 DAC in the system, I am falling in love with the Luxman brand.. Am I doing the right thing switching the mc462 to a Luxman M10x? Any advice would be very helpful.. 

rman9

Showing 5 responses by jeffreyw

While the MC462 is an excellent amplifier for the price, it is not up to the quality/performance of Luxman. I think moving up to the new M10X would be a monumental leap in performance, albeit for almost $10K more! I am in a similar situation and contemplating the M10X or the Gryphon Essence stereo. 

@rman9 

I had a CODA 16 fed by a Naim Uniti Star. I got rid of CODA because I am moving. Will be liquidating the Naim also and starting from scratch. I would like to pair the Essence stereo direct with a DCS Bartok, MSB Discrete, or Lumin P1. Looking forward to the journey! I'm sure it will be a while until dealers have the Luxman M10X for demo. 

@rman9 

Congrats!! Please update this thread as to your opinion of the sound quality when your system is fully broken in.

Best!

@rman9 

I will be powering a pair of B&W 802D3s with the new system. As far as speaker burn-in, along with system burn-in. I believe I needed at least 200 hrs. The results were dramatic, at least a 200% improvement.

Good luck with your audition! A word of advice, the new Luxman system should blow away the McIntosh system (as it should, almost 3X cost), so it is not a fair comparison. You should have some more fun and then compare Luxman to a system similarly priced. Let your ears be the judge!!

@dep14 

I am a fan of McIntosh and its heritage. However, open up the internals of a Luxman product and you be the judge. Japanese build quality is second to none. Even look at the Rotel Michi line. Their build quality is astonishing for the price paid!