Mccormack DNA-225 platinum

Over the weekend I purchased a Mccormack DNA 225 platinum for $400 at an estate sale along with a set of Vandersteen 5 speakers. I knew that Mccormack amps had a good reputation and only realized that it was a platinum when later when I set it up. I can't find much info on the platinum upgrades. Does anyone here know what was upgraded and what it means? Also what would a 225 with the platinum upgrade sell for? sorry for my basic questions. 
128x128mzwerner

Showing 1 response by kmckenn

@mzwerner - WOW! I am running a similar system to yours. I have a pair of cloth Quatros I picked up just shy of a year ago, and had a DNA 0.5 GOLD upgrade done by SMcAudio this last April 2018, both a tier shy of a DNA225 Platinum and Vandy 5's. The sound is amazing. You happened into a wonderful combination KEEP IT!

The only problem with that equipment is, it shows you everything, good and bad. You will now be able to more clearly hear differences in cabling, source, etc., which can be good and bad. I liken an amp/speaker combo equivalent to a window... you just got some very clear windows, great stuff looks GREAT, and things you believed might have been good when you didn't have clear windows don't look that good now that you can see it more clearly. An example is, I have 2 SPDIF/Digital Coax cables, a Monster Cable, and an MIT. When I listened to them on my old B&K ST-202/Vandy 2C combo, I believed the Monster Cable was a better cable. With the DNA-Gold/Quatro combo, it was "clearly" obvious the MIT is the better of the two cables. It can be very disappointing to find out that some of these ridiculously priced cables, etc. actually do sound better.