Martin Logan SL3 missing soundstage

I have bought a used pair of Martin Logan SL3 with completly rebuilt crossovers and fully rewired with Kimber silver cable inside; I changed them over my SF Grand Piano Home and I think they are great speakers but I can't get a decent soundstage at all.
They sound very flat and two dimensional compared to the SF.
When I audition them they were connected to Gamut gear and sounded very, very nice, nice soundstage as well.
My room is 12feet wide and 16feet long; the speakers are positioned on the lenght side of the room.
They are appox. 2feet from the side wall and 3feet from the front wall, 7feet apart.
The room is with carpet.
I tried many positions and I can say that the ML are very sensitive to positioning, but have you got any suggestions on how to improve the missing soundstage?

I have heavy curtains on the back and my setup is:
CDP - Musical Fidelity KW DM TR+DAC
AMP - Primare A30.1
TURN - VPI SCOUT,Ortofon A Cartridge
PHONOSTAGE - Eastern Electric Minimax
INTERCONNECTS - Van Den Hul The First, Zion silver
SPEAK CABLES - Qed xt 400, biwired
ISOL8 main conditioning
carloscotland
Carlo,
I owned the SL-3's for nine years and it sounds like you have the speakers set up ok....my guess is the solid state amplification is the culprit on lack of soundstaging unless you have the equipment rack or big furniture in between speakers...unfortunately those speakers require a high current amp with lots of muscle so you can't go tube integrated but a tube preamp will probably give you what you're looking for.
regards,
Larry
Thanks Larry, I'll keep that in mind...I know that MF makes the KW and it is a tube pre-amp, I have to get to listen to it...
I used the SL3s for a couple of years and I found that if placed right, soundstage was never an issue. I had other issues eventually but soundstage was not one of them. I have noticed that soundstage comes and goes with listening height and how much reflection comes off the back walls (both the ones behind the speakers and the ones behind you), which means you might want to either try to put something behind the speakers which will dampen or break up the backwave, or move them a bit further out. On the height aspect, I noticed that based on my particular listening position, I had to have the spikes on the back a bit longer than on the front (to tip the speaker a bit more vertical) in order to make the treble come out right. May have been because I was both seated a bit far away and my sofa was positioned quite low.

OTOH, Larryken might be right on solid state amplification having something to do with the impression of flatness. I never did like pure solid state with them. The closest I wanted to get was either hybrid or the InnerSound ESL amps, which were quite good with the SL3s.