Martin Logan Ascent i vs. Odyssey

I've just completed an in-home trial of the Ascent i's, and was very impressed with them. My dealer does not carry the Odysseys, and I haven't had a very good description of what might be gained by going to the Odyssey. The spec sheet for both models says they each go down to 35Hz. Does anyone have any experience with both models? (my room is 18 x18, I have Classe CAM200 monoblocks, 400W into 4 ohms).

thanks, Bill
gnobber

Showing 1 response by rmwheeler312

I recently purchased a set of odyssey's after listening to Ascents they did sound a little thin to me. I purchased the Odysseys knowing full well that they would sound fuller. More or less because of the 2 speaker placement (which the ascents do not have). I have matched the Odyssey with an aerial sw12 sub (and i don't think you would be happy running without a sub) and I am very very pleased.

Also,
I am pushing the speakers with a yamaha Rx-z9, Although I need to push it from -79db to about -30db they sound clear regardless of what i'm pushing thru them. Looking back I'm very happy I didn't go with the ascents. Besides for the price I bought them here on audiogon the ody's were cheaper than the ascents (well not quite but close enuff)... sorry if i come off like a stereophile noob but as a pro-musician i do have fairly good ears... I'd also reccomend listining to B&W nautilis revels and paradigms... imo the soundstage was less... but if my room 30x20 was for music and not HT I would have gone for the revels....