Marantz Professional CDR-500?

Whats the deal with the Marantz Professional CDR-500?
says that it records on CDR/CD-RW and computer CD's intended for CD burners used with desktop PC's. How is this possible, and are you able to use these computer CD's in other CD players for playback? The unit looks pretty nice and it has some nice features. I'm looking for responses from others who have seen this thing or have any hands on experience using one.

Thanks.
mhubbard
I have a CDR-500 and it does an outstanding job of recording and playback using computer blank CDR's (so far I have used Fuji,Sony and TDK). On Marantz's website covering the CDR-500 they recommend certain blanks to use. I cannot tell you how the unit does this, but my recordings using the brands of blank CDR's that I mentioned played back without any problems on an old Sony 507ES, a Magnavox 1040and a Sony portable CD player hooked up to a Car system.
A "consumer grade" CD recorder can ONLY use special watermarked (encoded) CD blanks that are labled "consumer audio recordable CD", ie these recorders are designed to read the watermarking, and won't record unless they "see" the watermarking. This was done to prevent massive copying in the digital domain.

Also, the consumer grade recorders will not make a digital copy of a digital copy. Whereas a professional CD recorder can use regular CD blanks, and CAN make a digital copy of a digital copy. The "pro" recorders are more expensive, but not that much more. Craig
I've had one of these units for about 4 months or so, and can heartily endorse it. Recording is painless either CD-->CD or from an analog source. Playback from either CDRs or "redbook" CDs is surprisingly good (after about 50 hrs break-in), besting my previous CD player (list $1700).
Doc: If you don't mind, what was your previous player? I seem to recall that you picked up the Marantz for around $600 and this might be a good choice for people who are looking for a player period as they would also get a CDR with the deal to make copies for the car, Walkman...
Dekay - my previous player was a Linn Genki. It's a pretty good player in it's own right, but the Marantz has a more relaxed, smooth, and detailed sound to my ears (via Tara Air2). Of course I went with Sedond-endorsed tube preamp at approximately the same time, so YMMV. I think that the higher quality pre would more likely show the shortcomings of the Marantz, were it the case. Happy Listening, -John
Dekay - my previous player was a Linn Genki. It's a pretty good player in it's own right, but the Marantz has a more relaxed, smooth, and detailed sound to my ears (via Tara Air2). Of course I went with Sedond-endorsed tube preamp at approximately the same time, so YMMV. I think that the higher quality pre would more likely show the shortcomings of the Marantz, were it the case. Happy Listening, -John