Marantz ND8006...anyone had experience with it?

Intrigued by new Marantz ND8006 streamer cdp. Curious if anyone has heard or owned one of these and what their thoughts are? I believe the CD portion is the basic CD8005 which has gotten good reviews from pros and consumers. Not sure about the rest of it. 
joekapahulu

Showing 1 response by bjorn-helgaas

I've had the ND8006 for almost a month.  I like it ... mostly, but I'm a little concerned because I think the firmware and possibly HEOS are unreliable.

I normally use the Android HEOS app (v1.493.170) to control the unit.  Playing music from a NAS server worked fine initially.  BubbleUPnP (v3.2.2.1) also worked with similar functionality (this was nice; I didn't know that 3rd party apps were a possibility).

For about a week, neither HEOS nor BubbleUPnP could detect the ND8006, so I had to use the remote control (CD & NAS still worked fine).  That problem disappeared for some unknown reason.  Since two apps had the same issue, I think this is probably a problem in the ND8006 firmware.

Occasionally HEOS can start playback of a track, but the "Starting playback" dialog eventually ends with "Action could not succeed due to timeout".  In this situation, the "Now playing" tab usually shows incorrect information and the rewind/fast-forward buttons don't work.  This might be a HEOS issue or an ND8006 issue; I don't know yet.