Marantz AV8003 vs 7005 processors sound quality

Anyone had a chance to compare sound quality (not features) of both receivers? I am interested in pure sonics without any processing. I will probably never use any EQ or Audyssey

Those who have experience with any of the two devices, how would you describe the sound:

Overall tonal character - (warm, neutral, bright)?
Dynamics - (soft, laid back, neutral, punchy)?
Equivalent 2ch preamp (ballpark)?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
spraglow

Showing 2 responses by kr4

If you have no intention to ever using EQ or Audyssey (a philosophy that I contend is foolishly archaic, especially for multichannel), I would advise you to consider using a player with outstanding DAC/output stages (e.g., Oppo 95) and a good all-analog multichannel preamp which is devoid of any on-chassis video and/or digital processing. You will experience greater "purity" from that than from any mid-market processor in any mode.

Kal
I cannot help much. The Cary has wonderful analog bypass but it doesn't compete in most other aspects. The Marantz/Integra units are excellent in many ways but you might find the analog bypass unacceptable. I never use it and not because I find it inadequate but because I find the other routes preferable.

In my big system, the Meridian has no analog bypass at all but I do not miss it. I do have a Parasound JC-2 for that but it is used more for comparisons than for actual music listening.