Magnepan, Ohm, Spatial or ??

I've heard the mag 1.7s and like the "openness" and other attributes.  However, the size and placement requirements are a killer for me.   I'm thinking Ohm and Spatial would be somewhat similar.  However, I can't demo them.  Any thoughts on these compared to the mags and any other "open" speakers I should consider?

Thanks all as usual!!

soundchasr

Showing 2 responses by br3098

@soundchasr  The three speaker examples you listed have very different presentations of sound. I'm a big fan of omnidirectional speakers and horns (which you did not mention).

Besides the Ohms, which are great speakers, I would recommend Shahinian Obelisks (my personal choice) and Larsen. Obs are in your price range used and the factory support is great.

In the horn camp, there are Klipsch Heritage (Heresys would work great in your room) and other vendors. I just purchased a pair of JBL L200T3s for one of my daughters. Baby butt cheeks! They sound great and work in her room which is similar to yours. Powered by a tube amp - she's happy.

@soundchasr - The Larsens may be "funny looking" but they have some advantages:
1- they can (have to be) placed right against the wall so placement issues are n/a
2- they have high WAF. I had Larsen 4s, 6s, and 8s in the living room at various times. My wife said they looked like plant stands (a good thing)

Downside: they are not really efficient enough for tubes, unless you use largish PP amps.

I'm a former Larsen dealer and John Larsen is a great guy, interested in good sound and high value for the money. Even though I my preference is for Shahinian Obelisks in my room and with my music I would own a pair of Larsens again in a heartbeat.