Magnepan LRS+ which amps do you use ? * 100 watts or less **

I have a pair coming in this week and wondering if any folks are having good results with 100watt or less amps 

i have a Rogue  Cronos mag that's about 100 watts , also an Exsposure 2510 that's about 110 into 4 ohms 

do you really need hundreds of watts to enjoy these speakers ?

mfm22

Showing 2 responses by ossicle2brain

Sorry not what you want to hear but yes the LRS sound great but need lots of power.  I have bi-amped Audiosource Amp Three amps putting out 200 watts into 4 ohms and they still get hot. I have thermoregulated fan units for them.  I blew up an old cheap 80 watt Yamaha amp trying to drive an old pair of MMGs and the LRS are even less efficient.  The Amp Threes can be found cheap used and I think they sound fine.  

They need time to break in and power to make them sing, but they sing.  Being able to easily move them around is cool also.  

Enjoy your new speakers Oblgny.  I have an old pair of the MMGs in storage.  They started to delaminate that I fixed and a foil broke that I somehow repaired by soldering a wire across and holes were drilled into the wood edges so I could mount them on hinges off the stereo cabinet.

I feel sorry for my speakers.  Living with me is tough.  The new victims are the LRS  Great revealing speakers and yes it seems the amps need warm up.

It would interesting to compare them again.  

I should sell the MMGs but they are a bit of a mess.