Magico's M9

I know everyone is sick of hearing about this, but $750K for a pair of speakers? I suppose I'd have to upgrade my flea watt amp too.

128x128fstein

Showing 5 responses by deep_333

They look ugly...which is the final nail in the coffin for this speaker...If it looked better, i know guys who would buy it. 

@jim204 I certainly DO NOT wish i can afford this eye sore.  I know they are selling diddly on this model in spite of all the ferocious marketing. Alon needs to admit he effed up making a speaker look like a overpriced giant whale phallus and move on in life, lol.

@mikelavigne , what "performance" are you hoping to hear? Put it in words. 

On the same note, i have heard this speaker. Did i hear anything otherworldy that any ol' Scweikert, Borresen, etc didn't do? No. But, if you heard anything wild w.r.t "performance", enlighten us one day.

@mikelavigne , i heard it at hayward. I've owned a couple of the older Magicos. After a certain price point, many speaker brands converge to a threshold for resolution, detail, slam, visceral bass impact, imaging, etc, whatever...But, Magico has never been my type of speaker, it has always had a clinical sound typical of what is produced by an engineering base that doesn't understand music. The nature of these forums is that doofuses already have a pre-emptive standing ovation in place when they see a high enough price tag (Otherwise known as 'market positioning' by manufacturers, which absolves them of all their speaker's shortcomings because doofuses are unable to be truthful to what they perceive anymore when they see that price tag..)

On the same note, all speakers at any price point have their pros and cons. After a cetain price point, many speakers are "carried" by the electronics tied to it instead. Atkinson has always been right about that. Put some overengineered Gryphon piece in front of anything, and it gets so overwhelming (the drool's dripping down in bucket loads) that the dudes with their pre-emptive standing ovations can't even think anymore.

@mikelavigne , The emotional envelopment is effortless with my TAD+Luxman or Yamaha gear. It is a bit less with the Technics. But, i primarily bought the Technics as a hot summer solution (some compromise for mitigation of constant air conditioner operation and resultant higher noise floor). I initially felt that it was all some Japanese magic sauce or the fact that TAD engineers use some Luxman gear when voicing their speakers. But, it also happens with the Schweikert (a completely different speaker). So, I don't know what the hell it is. Maybe, some manufacturers are able to deliver some magic sauce that others don't, while there is no question about either side's technical proficiency.

Unfortunately, the discussion of one's negative personal experience with any brand turns that brand's forum fanboys or dealers carrying that brand into psychotic dudes. So, I'll end the discussion here and im you instead. If I am in the Seattle? area, I'll let you know. If you are in the KC metro area, you let me know.