Magic and mystery of master tape

I keep hearing the phrase closest to master tape. The fact that it is the closest thing to neutrality, and the best 'reference' that said who actually has master tapes? who can get their hands on them? how do you get them? Has anyone audiophile got proper access to them?
I ask this because people keep saying their system sounds like master tape of x or y recording, but is this simple bluff - ie is it just a journalistic phrase from those saying that what they have have heard is neutral? or is it a genuine comparison?
I only say this as I can recall about one or two occasions at shows where I have heard master tape, and that is it - even then it was of rather obscure material/music.
Surely digital masters are more readily available? That being the case surely modern/current digital recordings are the closest to the master/ master tape.
This is a genuine question of curiosity that I would be grateful if someone will kindly shed some light on. Thanks.
lohanimal

Showing 1 response by ct0517

I am a happy customer of this recording company. You can listen to samples at this link.

Ultra Analogue Recordings

Zd542
I don't think we are talking about the same situation here. I was thinking of masters from one of the big recording companies, like Sony, that have them locked in a vault somewhere. I didn't consider the possibly of getting masters from an individual or a smaller recording company.

Speaking from personal and a couple of friends experiences; anyone that acquires a 15 IPS machine, develops the hunting skills necessary to find master tape dubs outside of small recording companies.

Rcprince
Now whether you want your system to get you closer to the master tape, or to provide you an involving musical presentation, that's another question and another thread.

In regards to the Ultra Analogue Recordings. They are very musical and involving. Some of the reasons behind this are explained by Roger Ginsley Studer Rep for Canada. He set up the machines for UAR.

Roger Ginsely

"Initially we debated over using butterfly heads (0.75mm gap) versus the more standard 2mm stereo heads. We opted for butterfly as there is more recorded area used. This does have the slight drawback of more crosstalk between channels (they are closer together) but for classical recording this works out extremely well. There is far more `blending' between channels producing a wider and fatter result. Of course butterfly used for say rock recording would not be advise able as instruments panned hard left and hard right would tend to be dragged more towards the centre which would result in some clutter and lack of definition."