Maggie Disappointment

Not trying to bash my local rep, so I won't list where I live. Just wondering anyone's thoughts/experiences with Magnepan.

I listened to MG's about 12 years ago and was smitten, but the wife said no (small house). Now, bigger house, older kids, better pay...I'm thinking it is finally time. I listened to the 1.7 at our dealer; awesome. I even upgraded my amp to 250Watts a month ago thinking I would be moving to Maggies, and know they have a need for power.

But when I asked for a home demo from my rep(need to insure they work in my room, insure the wife is OK with them), I was told no.

Called Magnepan, as they have a deal to let people try them for 30days in areas without dealers. They'll even give you $100 to try them. But since I live in an area with a dealer, I was told no. Even talked to the marketing manager...still no.

I now just have a bad feeling about these. Very disappointed.

Thoughts? Suggestions on alternatives?
lisaandjon

Showing 6 responses by zd542

Don't call them again. Wait a few days so that the incident is not still fresh in their minds. Then have someone you know, that doesn't have a local dealer order them for you.
"Speaking of...any suggestions on a "something else"."

Out of curiosity, a bought a 1.7's to see what they sound like. I was never able to hear a good demo of Magnepan speakers. I had them for about a year and put them next to my Vandersteen Model 2's, and swapped them back and forth for comparison. I tried them with a verity of electronics, as well. The Vandersteens beat them in just about any way I could think of. I was kind of surprised because I was expecting the Magnepan's to be better in some areas, and the Vandersteen's would have its strengths. I had several friends listen to both pairs also, any they all came to the same conclusion that I did. The 1.7's were very disappointing. You may want to consider other options.
" I spend more to insure I have no worries if something goes wrong.
Lisaandjon (Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

What's you secret? lol. Usually, spending more money only insures that you will be spending more money. And the numbers just keep getting bigger. Insuring that you will be spending more money.
"I'd like the best midrange I can get...as realistic vocals/acoustics as possible. No need for full range as the added sub seems to work for me. I love the huge soundstage of the Maggies, and presumably all Planars."

You need to focus on the entire system as a whole. Just buying a pair of speakers won't do it. In order to get the qualities you list above, you have to consider the electronics, or it won't happen.
"01-28-15: Lisaandjon
Thank you, Zd, I understand. I'm using McIntosh MC2255, Mc Pre, and a mac mini. I THINK the Joseph's are the weak link, at this point. It's debatable, as with anything, but it's what I'm focusing on for now."

You may be right, but looking at your system, there may be other considerations. What preamp do you have and what's your computer set up exactly? (Mac Mini, dac, ripping software, playback software, type of cables). I can't stress enough as to how important your preamp and source is for good sound. If you mess up one of those, it won't matter what amp and speakers you use.
"01-28-15: Jmcgrogan2
Things in life have a way of working out if they are meant to be. Enjoy the music, and let us know if the wife lets you keep them."

If you don't like the 1.7's, you can always turn them into doors. They're just the right size for it. Drill a hole and install a handle. Then mount some hinges, and you're all set.