Maggie 1.6's and Power. How much is enough?

I have a great offer on a pr. of Maggie 1.6's but only have a Marantz SR 19 receiver ( 120watts x 5). Is this going to be way to small for these speakers. It will be for H/T in a smaller room. Thanks for any Idea's!!
128x128rsa
That should do it, but the Maggies LOVE current. It doesn't seem as if you can have enough power for these things. I tried a Pass X250 and when the bass notes came on heavy it pegged the current meter on the front of the thing. I used to have a pair of VTL MB250's and the speakers went loud and sounded like they could take more. I now have a mosfet power amp at 200WPC that has beer can capacitors with a total of 360,000mfd. The amp has LED V.U. meters and the amp clips at loud volume. Mind you, not head-banger loud, but it could use more. Do yourself a favor and try a high power amp, both tube and S.S. and see what they do.

Wattage ratings alone do not tell the whole story. However, your Marantz at 120 watts is not "way too small" for the Maggie 1.6s. Generally, the Maggies need an amp the will drive a 4 ohm load. The best values would be a solid state amp like the Marsh A-400 or BAT VK200. Tubes will work but you need at least 100 watts.

While the Maggies will work in a H/T setup, they may not be the best choice for a "smaller room." Not only will they visually dominate a smaller room, the speakers sound best when they are at least 3' from the front wall with the listening position at least 6' away. More importantly, is that the Maggies project a small sweet spot and sound best in a high quality 2-channel setup; the Maggies forte' is soundstaging. Consider that there will be a discontinuity between the center channel and the Maggies. Consider, also, that in a H/T setup, a conventional cone speaker will sound more dynamic and will resolve more low level details at lower volume levels.
Does your reciever have amp out jacks?If it does you could add Marantz monoblocks or a stereo amp to power the Maggies.I had the Maggies and i think they need about 200 watts a channel just for themselves.
Your power will be slightly lacking for demanding HT and music listening. tireguy is correct about the center channel. you'll need to do a fair amount of channel level setting to get an acceptable blend up front. There are Maggie centers but the are fairly large and quite power hungry too. I you do decide to upgrade to another power amp, for minimal cash, try to find an Acurus 200X3 for the front. That amp (as well as other Acurus amps) can handle difficult speakers like the Maggies very well. For the money, they CANNOT be beat. And there resale is excellent if you don't like their sound. good luck!!!!:)
Try a McCormack DNA-1 or 2. I agree with the above poster that mentioned Marsh or BAT. You need a musical amp with great current drive. I never heard the Krells with the maggies but would imagine it would have glorious sound as well. Ditch the Marantz idea.