Mac vs. PC differences to Airport Express?

Are there quality differences in sending music wirelessly to an Apple Airport Express from a Mac vs. a PC.

I have a PC desktop running Windows XP. I stream my music via iTunes to an Apple Airport express, toslinked into my Benchmark DAC-1 (no USB), then analog out to my MF integrated amp.

Would I get better results simply by using a Mac instead of a PC to my Airport Express?

Would adding a USB/toslink converter and going computer to USB converter to DAC be much better, even if I use a cheap USB converter like the Hagman or M-Audio?
thomasedison

Showing 3 responses by mark02131

I find that the MAC is just all around better when it comes to dishing out the music. The MAC mini has an optical output that is fantastic and plugged into a good DAC is all you need. Also the Transporter is a nice solution.

I tried using a PC/XP with an M-Audio audiophile192 card using s/pif out to my MDA1000 but it sound was dull and did not sound right. I have never heard a PC sound really really good and I don't know why I really wonder about the Microsoft O/S and drivers.
Hey Jax2,

Toslink is a digital interface and is not audio it is pure digital read off the disk converted to "light pipe" and shipped out, thats it, only data ready to be read by a down stream device.

Mark

I would use XLR first any maybe compare to see what sounds best.

Jax2,
I agree the more steps along the path the more chances to signal derogation. I think light pipe is less suspetable to problems than electrical signals and can cary 8 channels of 24/96 audio, thats a lot of room if you are only using it for 2. one way you convert digital to electrical signals the other to light. We always use fiber in high end computers to large disk arrays because it a better, faster medium than electrical signals.