Mac Mini As A Streaming Source

I have been looking to add a digital streaming source to my sound system and so am VERY new to this process.  But, from what I see the variety is mind boggling and there is no complete device out there that would do CD/SACD playback, plus all available music streaming apps, plus Roon.

I use apple music for high res/lossless streaming on my phone, especially their new classical service as that is my primary listening, so compatibility with this app is mandatory.  This, however, seems to eliminate every single digital streamer out there.  But, am I missing something?

So, what are the thoughts on using a mac mini for a dedicated source, linked to a DAC?  I can put all of the streaming apps there, and install Roon there, and put my existing CD ripped files on the hard drive. Connect to the internet over wifi.

What output cable would I use to connect to the internal DAC on my Mark Levinsion 585.5?

Could everything be operated with an Ipad running Roon, without the need for keyboards?

The only thing missing would be CD playback, but could that be accomplished using  a DVD/Blu Ray reader attached to the Mac?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

gwhphoto

What device you’re referring to? Your AQUA USB port accepts PCM 24 bit / 768kHz – DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512 resolution formats. I would check again the settings in Roon / Mac Mini.

I got it to work. I’m still trying to figure out how much of an improvement it provides.

I was tricked by the volume control in HQPlayer when I had set the level to fixed in Roon. The setting of -60 in HQPlayer rendered the system mute. By the way, the developer says not to use greater than -3.0.

I have been using 2012 MM for years upgraded with 2tb samsung SSD & 16gb of ram & I have 2012 MBP with a 1tb samsung SSD & 16 of ram. Both are old machines but perfectly functional. If you want to stream Apple Music, Amarra Sq+ will stream AM and your ripped iTunes/Music library using Apples remote App. You can use Audirvana with Qobuz or Tidal. Audirvāna allows you play around with bit per perfect play back or you can play around with its numerous up-sampling features. I use DsD conversion to DSD 128 with very good results. USB is the correct connection, especially, if you want to take advantage of the up-sampling. Both the Apple Remote app & Audirvana app will wake the computer and play music if the computer is set to wake for network access in settings. If you want full hi-rez for Apple Music, you would need a monitor and control direct from the computer because airplay only supports cd quality.  Amarra has had issues since Apples last ventura update which has created some operational issues so I don't use it at the moment. Good luck. 

@gwhphoto  >> Could everything be operated with an Ipad running Roon, without the need for keyboards? << 

I’m not very familiar with Roon.  I used a M1 Mac Mini as a streamer for a while and controlled it with an iOS app for iPad called “Screens”. Best $20 I spent. Worked great and made the Mini headless. 

For best audio quality you’ll need to use audio software such as Audiovira or Amarra.  I used Amarra. 

Get a decent USB cable. The cable will require some burn-in time to sound its best.