Mac Mini As A Streaming Source

I have been looking to add a digital streaming source to my sound system and so am VERY new to this process.  But, from what I see the variety is mind boggling and there is no complete device out there that would do CD/SACD playback, plus all available music streaming apps, plus Roon.

I use apple music for high res/lossless streaming on my phone, especially their new classical service as that is my primary listening, so compatibility with this app is mandatory.  This, however, seems to eliminate every single digital streamer out there.  But, am I missing something?

So, what are the thoughts on using a mac mini for a dedicated source, linked to a DAC?  I can put all of the streaming apps there, and install Roon there, and put my existing CD ripped files on the hard drive. Connect to the internet over wifi.

What output cable would I use to connect to the internal DAC on my Mark Levinsion 585.5?

Could everything be operated with an Ipad running Roon, without the need for keyboards?

The only thing missing would be CD playback, but could that be accomplished using  a DVD/Blu Ray reader attached to the Mac?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

gwhphoto

Showing 5 responses by jsalerno277

Sorry everyone.  I got 3 errors indicating my response did not post.  Apparently it posted multiple times.  

I transitioned from a MacBook to a MiniMac running Audirvāna to a dedicated server.  I chose Aurender running QoBuz over Conductor.  Personal preference. You must audition and use the Apps and make your own choice.  Using the dedicated server removed a high frequency glare that improved timbre, peesented a blacker background that improved detail and opened the stage with denser, more organic images.  

If you must stay with a computer run a music server program.  My choice was Audirvāna but again you must listen and play to make the choice.  I did have occasional but rare in frequency dropouts with Audirvāna that I could never solve.  

No matter which way you go a high quality USB and power cord or power supply is required (power cord or supply if you go with a server, not MiniMac unless you mod). I use WyWires Platinum with the Aurender.   A good value if they are still running their sale. Also in my system, vibration isolation on digital equipment has positive effects but not so much on downstream amplification.  I use Symposium platforms and RollerBlock Jrs.  My strong recommendation strong is a dedicated server.  Let you ears and software preferences make they choice.  Many good server recommendations from other members above. 

I transitioned from a MacBook to a MiniMac running Audirvāna to a dedicated server.  I chose Aurender running QoBuz over Conductor.  Personal preference. You must audition and use the Apps and make your own choice.  Using the dedicated server removed a high frequency glare that improved timbre, peesented a blacker background that improved detail and opened the stage with denser, more organic images.  

If you must stay with a computer run a music server program.  My choice was Audirvāna but again you must listen and play to make the choice.  I did have occasional but rare in frequency dropouts with Audirvāna that I could never solve.  

No matter which way you go a high quality USB and power cord or power supply is required (power cord or supply if you go with a server, not MiniMac unless you mod). I use WyWires Platinum with the Aurender.   A good value if they are still running their sale. Also in my system, vibration isolation on digital equipment has positive effects but not so much on downstream amplification.  I use Symposium platforms and RollerBlock Jrs.  My strong recommendation strong is a dedicated server.  Let you ears and software preferences make they choice.  Many good server recommendations from other members above.