Luxman PD121 is this a quality DD?

How does the Luxman PD121 rank with the other quality DDs (Kenwood LO7D, Technics SP10s, and the like)?
redglobe

Showing 2 responses by br3098

Luxman PS-121 on The Vintage Knob

My experience agrees w/ what is stated on TVK: the PD-121 is a good, midrange table. I wouldn't compare it to the SP-10, but I would personally prefer it to the ubiquitous SL-1200.

The PD-121A with the load-free spindle system is a different animal, more like a mini PD-441. It's still not an SP-10 but it still sounds great, and it's an easier/smaller/more manageable form factor than the SP-10. I have used one extensively w/ a Micro Seiki MA-505 MkII arm, and the combo plays well above its price point.
I used to sell Luxman gear back in the late 1970s, and as I recall the U model was the standard export version of the PD-121 w/ a universal (switchable) power supply. I do not remember ever seeing or selling the PD-121A model, but I have met guys who have claimed to own them, so my mention is more allegorical than real.

Also, the keep in mind that the PD-131 is also a good deck; it was originally offered as an armless version of the PD-121.

In comparison to the SL-1200 I can only offer you my opinion, others may certainly disagree. I believe that the PD-121/131 sounds a little more musical and lush and offers much better bass control than the Technics turntable. But this is a tough comparison, as you will never see these units rigged in a comparable way. As I have mentioned, one of these decks w/ a good, midpriced tonearm and matching cartridge will almost certainly cost more than an SL-1200 but provide a great sound/price ratio.