Luxman L505uXii or Hegel H390

Let the opinions begin...........

tbevan

Showing 1 response by ryder

Sound quality is important. However, if certain criteria are not met, there won’t be an intention of a listen or purchase from me.

The Hegel amps look fine. They are used by many and have been endorsed by the Harbeth designer Alan Shaw for Harbeth speakers. As a Harbeth owner myself, I disregarded the Hegel mainly for the looks and build quality. The front panel looks like it’s made of plastic with matte finish which reminds me of budget NAD amps. Sorry. When you open the lid and have a peek inside, you would notice that the wiring is little messy. As for the Luxman, the build quality is far better. The material used for the construction of the case, the thick front faceplate (almost an inch thick), there is a certain solidity feel to it. And the meters. Have a peek at the innards and one would notice the neat arrangement of the wiring, parts and components.

It’s just one man’s opinion so please don’t take it seriously. No hard feelings. Similarly I wouldn’t bother too much about negative comments made on the Luxman.

When I spend big money on a hifi component or an amp of say above $5k or up to $10k (only applicable to my standards as the amount may be regarded as peanuts by others), it’s not all about sound quality. The equipment has to satisfy other requirements as well which will be dependent on the individual’s personal preferences.

To each his own. I’ll get my coat.