Luxman L505u . . . why not?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these--an upgrade from my Rotel receiver. Before I do, I'd like some perspective from the learned A'gon community. First, will it be a significant upgrade from the Rotel? What kind of sonic improvements can I expect? Second, why shouldn't I buy from Audiocubes II? http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_L-505u_Integrated_Amplifier.html
I know On a Higher Note is the official U.S. distributer, but my budget pushes me towards the less expensive purchase option. Third, regardless of where I purchase it from, it will need a transformer to boost the power to 220. I don't know anything about the possible effects this might have on sound and performance of the component--can anybody speak to this? Is it possible to have the piece modified to accept the U.S. 110 current? I want the piece because it meets my requirements for an integrated: it's at least 100W, it has speaker A/B (I've got speakers in the kitchen and the main living room), it's got a great phono section (I play 50% records, 50% CDs), and it's got a headphone amp. Those are the features I want in an integrated. Any advice, suggestions, dissuasions will be appreciated.

Danny
rosedanny

Showing 4 responses by jbsl43

I bought the L-505f made from 2001-2004(model before 505u) back in 2004 from Audiocubes2 website and had no problems with the sale, shipping, transformer, and the unit.

Jones4music said "the 505u and can tell you it is less clear and less focused than the AX7e and 6300 I compared it with". I think that it depends on what you want from a Int amp at this price.

I think people who will like the 505u are people who want to sit back and just enjoy their music not analyze it. The AX7e and 6300 sounds like they bring out more details which is not bad if that is what you want.

Probably the L-550a II does this more than the 550u. Again just depends on what you want and what other equipment you have to find that synergy that produces a sound you enjoy.

The 505f was a very musical int amp and I'll bet the 505u is even more so.
Well Luxman has just released another option for people the L-507u. There is no info in English on the Japanese Luxman website but does show the release date in Japan as Dec.

It is going for 399,00 Yen or around $4400in Japan. The L-505u in Japan costs around 225,000 yen or around $2500. The L-550a ii in Japan costs around 300,000 yen or around $3300. So in the US the L-505u is around $3800 and L-550a ii around $4800 so there is around a $1000 to $1300 cost of importing it. So if the L-507u is $4400 in Japan then in the US it probably will go for $6000 may up to $7000.

Here is a link to the L-507u that was taken off the On A Higher Note website but still works if you have the link.

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=8&id=52

They probably took it off the website cause it will not be released to the US for a while.

It will be interesting to find out a comparison between the L-507u and the L-509u.
When I bought my Luxman L-505f back at the begining of 2004 I almost got the L-507f but just out of my price range.

For the money the L-505f was a great int amp and if I had the money I would go ahead and get the L-505u. I had to sell the L-505f so now I may just keep everything I got and save for the next two years and see what else Luxman may come up with.

One of the things I liked about the L-505f was I used the preamp with a tube amp I had or use a tube preamp with the 505f amp section or just used it as a int amp.

Also the tone controls were outstanding!! They could not make a bad recording perfect but I have too many bad recordings and the tone controls allowed me to adjust the treble and bass just enough to make the bad recordings much more bearable. As always this is my opinion of equipment I have had in my system.
"The only big difference between the 505u and the 507u is that the build quality of the 507u is higher.
Paulyh"

So 507u cost twice as much as the l-505u but you do not hear much of a difference in the sound?

To me it seems there should be a obvious difference in the sound quality for that much difference in price.

What improvement in sound have you heard with the L-507u over the L-505u?