Luxman L505u . . . why not?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these--an upgrade from my Rotel receiver. Before I do, I'd like some perspective from the learned A'gon community. First, will it be a significant upgrade from the Rotel? What kind of sonic improvements can I expect? Second, why shouldn't I buy from Audiocubes II? http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_L-505u_Integrated_Amplifier.html
I know On a Higher Note is the official U.S. distributer, but my budget pushes me towards the less expensive purchase option. Third, regardless of where I purchase it from, it will need a transformer to boost the power to 220. I don't know anything about the possible effects this might have on sound and performance of the component--can anybody speak to this? Is it possible to have the piece modified to accept the U.S. 110 current? I want the piece because it meets my requirements for an integrated: it's at least 100W, it has speaker A/B (I've got speakers in the kitchen and the main living room), it's got a great phono section (I play 50% records, 50% CDs), and it's got a headphone amp. Those are the features I want in an integrated. Any advice, suggestions, dissuasions will be appreciated.

Danny
rosedanny

Showing 23 responses by chashas1

Bongo, could it also be you'd have to pay retail for the Leben?
Could you elaborate on the "compact design"? The Luxmans look big (and heavy) from photos, the Leben, which I've actually seen and heard, much smaller and lighter.
Nice to hear.
Plus, he also carries Luxman and Lavardin!
now if only he had Leben....
Bongo, have you heard the other Luxman tube integrated also, the 38u? I've been hearing raves about it as well.
Not cheap, $6k. Like the Leben 600, but with phono stage as well. I've also heard great things about the two Class A Luxman's, although they are $4800 and $10k?

Oh, and I've read somewhere that Luxman now does have tech service available in the States. I think it took a while to get things going after seperating from the Alpine debacle.
Merlocpm, there's a nice guy on here who has, maybe he'll chime in....not sure about the 505u, but he has the 550 and 590, which he seems to love...great bass, tone.
HI Jabas, care to share about what others you've tried?
Don't be such a tease!
how old is your lux 550a II?

Thanks
Chas
I was initially interested in your thread for the sound of the luxman, not the ethical part of the question, for I've been wanting to hear one. Recently went to Chicago, no Luxman--yet. So then I thought about what if I was a dealer wanting to bring it in, and what a purchase like yours does to the industry, so in conclusion I'd have to say no to what you did. Have you seen the statement on the Japanese global website? No warranty for you. That seals the deal for me.
It's called the price of doing business in your own country. If you continue to buy greymarket, I may never get to hear a Luxman in the states. Why wouldn't a huge city like Chicago not carry Luxman? Why are more brick and mortar stores closing?
I'm not condemning your actions, you do what you want.
If it was your business and someone hit you in your pocket book, I'm sure you'd start thinking otherwise....
Yes, I've got my eye on it...that was one of his preliminary reports...full review to be coming, hopefully soon. It is on onahighergrounds site, so should be available.
Thanks! The Luxman is still very much on my list. Same with Leben, and Lavardin.
Hi Jimthewebguy, I'd love to read about the comparison between your luxman and the lil leben. I have yet to hear a luxman, but I've heard the leben you mention.
Thanks
Chas
Jimbo, thanks for taking the time to write that. Your opinions are just as valid to me as from any on here.

I've only heard the Leben with the new Zu Essence. And while as good as it was, it may not have been the best matchup. I think the Zu's needed more power to control the bass. That being said, the mids were very lifelike, so voices were beginning to take on that elusive quality we look for. The highs were fine, not harsh, yet with the new Zu ribbon tweeter I can't really comment, I haven't heard a ribbon tweeter in years. It was nonfatiguing, however.

I hope to hear the Leben soon with a smaller, high efficient speaker. I'm not sure if I'd describe it as "modern" sounding, though. Mr Hyodo isn't exactly young!
And the Leben is far better known and popular in other countries than the States. They seem like great products, so I hope they catch on. It's also nice to see the rebirth of the Luxmans here. They had a tough time from their past distributors.

It sounds like you have an amp that matches your speakers well, at least for your tastes, so you should be very happy. I laughed, for I vaguely remember your speakers, and I always thought they were bright! So, one could speculate the Leben was only showing that to be true, and the Luxman works because it's warmer?
Thanks again
Chas
Hi Jim, yes, definitely give that Luxman some love.

I do disagree with this conclusion, though..
But I did compare the Leben against my own amp, and in that comparison the Leben's highs were slightly harsh and fatiguing, while the Luxman's were not. This tells me that the Leben would probably still be more harsh with my other components compared to the Luxman.

Jim, not necessarily so. You compared but with only one set up speakers. As I said, the Leben could be showing the truth of the speaker, the Luxman masking. Or it could be a simple matter of choice of cable.

Not that you sound like you want or need to get rid of the Luxman( heavens forbid) but if you were searching you might try the Leben in a different setup..

What I was trying to say about Mr Hyodo was that he's been around since the early days of hifi, not that his designs were lagging. From what I've heard, hardly. :)

Get that amp fixed!
Take care
Chas
Jim, that sounds like a normal, healthy relationship...
I'd definitely try it if you can...I like to listen to as many combos as I can put together. Who knows, your vintage Luxman may win out...Write back, I'll be curious...
Thanks!
Chas
Lol! Jim, before you shoot yourself in the foot yet again, reread what you've written. And I say this not to defend the Leben at all- I don't own one, or Luxman, yet.
Twice now you have used the Leben with speakers you obviously don't like, the diatones and the thiels. And twice you blame it on the Leben. Before you write off the Leben, you need to use it with either the speakers you own or something very similiar. I don't know the sound of the diatones, but I've never liked thiels, at least the ones I've heard. You describe them to a t. And again I say your luxman is masking that. The top end on the Harbeth is extended yet sweet. And that's what the Leben showed.

Again, speculation only, but from what I've read, the newer Luxman gear is equal to or better than its predecessors. Even though it's not mentioned much, yet, maybe because of it's price point, 6k, the new version of the 38q is supposed to be stunning. It's odd that people are either buying the new lower priced entries or the top two expensive models. Obviously none of the new gear by Luxman is in your price area now. Is the Leben used?

Keep at it...
Mushi mushi, Jim! oh no, you didn't make a mistake, you were only going on what you heard -at the time. That's not always an easy task. Great prices over there, I'd say.

I didn't realize when mentioning other options that you were looking solely for used, although, all the newer Luxman is much cheaper over there than here, as you can tell from the earlier part of this thread.

One thing I've think you've learned, with your specific tastes you really should get whatever amp to your home to use with your speakers, unless you take the speakers out of the house!
There's a thread under Speakers now that might interest you, someone compares the Harbeth 30's with your speakers.

Well, keep at it. Take a break and go eat some shishamo for me, lots of it.
Take care
Chas
Jim, I started reading a thread on pf that would be perfect for you, and then saw that you were already on it!
So how do you think sitting on the floor affects the overall sound? Any different than if they were on stands?
Too bad about the shishamo... Our's here are frozen, sob, so it doesn't matter for us...
Jim, I think this is the one...

01-10-10: Bwcanuck
My experience has been that the recording medium and media have been the weakest link in my system. I prefer higher resolution speakers but this places massive limitations on what I can play to get a truly live detailed sound without hearing background noise or errors in mixing. I've heard the Monitor 30 beside a pair of NS-1000M and they shared an almost identical response in that room. The M30 had a color or warmth, a wood note and was quite forgiving of material and gear even though it had more treble, but was still more detailed than many other speakers that I remember. I enjoyed them. The NS-1000M was incredibly neutral from what I could tell, dynamic, let me hear far too deep into what was playing in the audition, to the point where what I was hearing was almost programmed sounding. Things like distant sounding strings with a close sounding vocal that doesn't fit stood out. When I ponder about recordings maybe they should use speakers like those to know what they are doing to a recording, I think most listeners want to hear more music, less recording process.
Bwcanuck (Answers)

it was the fifth post under a thread for avalon, harbeth, etc...

I think what I was trying to show you at the time was that your speakers are monitors, hence very revealing, sometimes too much so, yet also requiring a good matchup in electronics. I doubt the lil Leben would have enough juice for your speakers.
In the latest issue of Stereophile, John Marks again goes crazy over the new Luxman 505u. He's pairing it with the Harbeth 7-3's...if you could find one of those over there who knows?
Jim, you are so lucky to get to hear all those different models....I feel like I'm a backwoods yokel compared to that.
I know your yammies are sensitive, from what I've been told they need something that will control the bass better than a Leben. I think it's good you've moved on.
Have fun! Lucky....
Thanks for that, Bongo, but, all is not apples and apples.
If you're throwing the Luxman 590 into the mix, then you've left a big void of around $5k here between the Leben 600 and it. If you were only comparing the 505 or the Luxman 38SQ, which at around $6k would be the one to merit a comparison, that would maybe be a better comparison. After all, the thread started with the 505.
Why does no one hardly mention the 38sq, and why does Luxman have to have so many confusing model #'s? Does Accuphase do that as well?
Boy, I would love to hear it...hear it all, actually! and then buy what I loved most, and never look back. (hopefully)
The small Leben is only 15 watts, which means very efficient speakers and usually a smaller scale system. By the time people consider the bigger Leben integrated, they head for Shindo.
The Luxman is all relatively new here, as stated earlier, so maybe eventually I'll get to hear it.
Thanks again!
Chas
Bongo, that's a good question...maybe I'm feeling a bit of a protectionist these days? not sure. Having been a retailer all my life, it bothers me to see so many businesses close (and we know why). Maybe I'm also a bit old fashioned. You mention that a dealer could still get to "demonstrate and service" a product....what happened to the "selling" of, which would make the dealer money?
What happened to the common good, rather than individual greed? I'm just sayin....