Luxman L-509x for B&W 803 D3

I recently acquired a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3 speakers. My integrated Amp is currently Luxman L-509x rated 120 WPC at 8 Ohms and 220 WPC at 4 Ohms. Class A/B, but Class A biased for the first few Watts.

Is my integrated amp good enough for my 803 D3, or do they need more power? I have read / heard the 800 series B&W need gobbles of power to shine.

Thanks!
128x128thyname

Showing 10 responses by thyname

Thanks guys! It sounds pretty good with my Luxman L-509x, but in the absence of other amps to try, I did not know if would sound even better with something else, more powerful, and closer to maximum spec range (up to 500 WPC)
Make sure you can get a home demo before purchasing.

To be clear, I already have them. I had the Luxman from before, and just got the 803 D3. I as simply asking if I need to replace Luxman with something more powerful now with the new speakers
Thanks @erik_squires  this is very helpful!

The Luxman 900u you mention is a logical upgrade, but that would require me to also buy a preamp, which means a lot of money. I can use my DAC (MSB Discrete) to drive an amp directly (with no preamp), as I don't have analog stuff, but when I had separates in the past, I always preferred the preamp in the chain after the DAC.
I understand. But if I get the amp, I would prefer to sell the integrated to raise the cash
Thanks @yyzsantabarbara  good advice. I do realize that I need to stop looking at stuff. You are right
You don’t need to buy a preamp. The Luxman 509x can act as a preamp too. Check your manual for the setup.

You misunderstood. I was talking about if I were to purchase the m900 Amp. 
Disregarding their price, which of two amps below would be best match for 803 D3?

Pass Labs X350.8

McIntosh MC462
@caphill I don’t have a Preamp as my Luxman L-509x is an Integrated Amp. A Preamp in this case is not needed.

My DAC is MSB Discrete. Using Innuos ZENith MK3 as a server and USB streamer.

Thanks for chiming in
Hi @caphill  I like my MSB Discrete very much. Obviously it's their entry level DAC, but that's all I could afford. I have the dual Discrete power supplies (not the powerbases).
Just a quick courtesy update (OP here): I ended with a T+A PA 3000 HV Integrated amp. I am very happy with the outcome. Thanks!