Luxman 590AX II Break-In

Hello all, and happy holidays,

To those with experience, how many hours of a break-in are necessary to make the Luxman sing? I have about 175 hours, and my bass is less than stellar. Also, there is not a luscious midrange (yet). I have read epic reviews but have not experienced that thus far. What should I expect over time? Getting a little worried!

Thanks!

128x128jeffreyw

Showing 7 responses by ghdprentice

It is not unusual for a couple hundred hours to be required to get in the ball park of what you will hear in the future. But, to be honest, your speakers require a lot of power, 85db efficiency, and the Luxman you have chosen is outstanding, but of very low power. Not a match made in Heaven. 

@builder3

The Luxman site says 30 wpc @ 8 ohms:

(Rated output:

30W + 30W (8Ω), 60W + 60W (4Ω))

That is low power… while it doubles into 4ohms… we usually compare at 8 ohms. Since the speakers specify needing 50 wpc. Typically I found that amps at or larger that the max for the speakers to reach their full potential. I would feed speakers like this with no less that 200 wpc from a high current amp.

From a number of comments it is starting to sound like a speaker / amp mismatch.

The only other input I can add is I spent a couple hours with a Luxman M10-x and a set of Magico (A3 I think) and I have to say, it struck me like the OP’s comments on his amp. There was no warmth or naturalness to the sound.  

OP, Congradulations!

You have made a big step forward. It sounds like you did your research and found the sound that matches your aesthetic. And, I am pretty sure, lack of bass is not an issue. To my surprise I found the most recent Luxman lacking in punch and warmth as well. Enjoy… but I am sure you are.

Congratulations! It is great when you make a move that results in what you desire. McIntosh is known to be very midrange and bass heavy… sounds like the solution to your dilemma. 

On the other hand, in some other systems room treatments could be the solution.

OP,

Outstanding. I have auditioned some of the top level Nordost… Odin 2… incredible wires. 

Greatto hear you are happy.