Lush and Romantic Tube Amps

Hi All -

I am on a quest for a lush, warm and romantic tube amp. Ideally, it should be 75 watts and upwards. I’m in a large room and my speakers are 87.5 sensitivity and 8 ohm. The room is large. 

The system:

LTA preamp 

Innuous Zenith music server 

Merason Dac 1 

Cardas Clear cables 

Suggestions are welcomed. 

128x128bluethinker

Showing 3 responses by rodman99999

The use of NOS British* tubes for input and driver/splitter positions, warmed things up considerably, for every customer that asked, back in the day.

Amp's manufacturer didn't matter.

Nor: whether octal or nine pin miniature tubes.

The carbon composition resistors, used widely in older tube amps, gave them a warmer signature.    Even SS gear could be warmed up, by swapping those in for cleaner resistors.

*ie: Mullard, Genelex or Brimar

Brent Jessee's site has a wealth of information, as regards the presentation of the valves available in the NOS market.

http://audiotubes.com/

You could warm up your existing system's presentation, by installing British valves in your LTA preamp, whatever your current amp.

@papafrgog ​​​& @vthokie83-

While I totally agree with your assessments, regarding rolling amp valves; I'll bet the OP could save a passel of $$ (not to mention: possible sensitivity/efficiency matching headaches), were he to roll some warmer ones into his LTA preamp.

Especially: if he's satisfied with the SPLs and performance of his existing amp and speaker combo, aside from that longing for a cozier presentation.

Happy listening!

What I learned along the way is that NOS rectifier and driver tubes are vastly superior to current production versions.

Fact!