Ls 3/5a sound without the price.....

Looking for small monitor that emulates the classic 3/5...that is very open mid-band,lean bass, and slightly forgiving top end...contemplating Castle,Ruark, and usa made NSM model 5...
128x128phasecorrect
Nothing sounds like the LS3/5a's! Good news is they can be had used all day long for reasonable prices.
If you can afford it the new Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 is very good. Most of the old time LS3/5a folks say they are the best ever. I love mine.

Stephen
The BBC replaced their LS3/5's with dynaudioacoustic BM5's.
Might be worth a try and they are cheap as well.
If you like the LS3/5a, buy a used pair (about $600). The original Kans are the complete antithesis of the LS3/5a, despite their outward similarities!

Keith

LP12/Ekos/Argo
Denon AU320
Hafler 101/200
Rogers LS3/5a
Almost nothing emulates an LS3/5a. I bought my first pair in 1976 and used them as main speakers more often then not until 2002. I have four suggestions: 1. Buy a used pair of LS3/5as; 2/ Spendor S3/5 or S3/5se, depending on your preference; Zu Tone; Silverline SR16.

The Spendor is as close as you can get to an LS3/5a without buying an LS3/5a, yet still it is decidely less "vintage." The Zu Tone shares the BBC monitor's pinpoint imaging and ability to disappear while offering more integrated transient consistency than the LS3/5a and 101/db/w/m efficiency to be useful with tonally superior SET amps. The Silverline SR16 is as close as you can get to an LS3/5a with greater powerhandling and some bass extension.

Phil