LP storage advice please?

I inherited my pop's system and LP collection. It's roughly 2,100 LPs. I say 'roughly' as I did not count them when I packed them up due to time constraints. There are 14 U-Haul boxes that are 26" in length. At roughly 6 LPs per inch that comes to 2,184 LPs, give or take for double albums and a handful of box sets. In case you're curious, it's: 2,184 x 180gr = 393,120gr or 866lbs. About 61.8lbs/box.

My question is, how high do you think I could safely stack the boxes of LPs so as not to damage the contents?

Currently I limited myself to 3 high so the bottom box is supporting ~120lbs. Can I go higher as to reclaim some floorspace in my climate controlled storage unit?

Thanks!

Happy listening.

128x128musicfan2349

Showing 2 responses by musicfan2349

The collection was in my parents' FL condo for 30+ years. Pop had them on some cheap graybar shelving. When I packed them, I made sure the boxes were snuggly packed so they wouldn't shift, lean or sag. 

I plan on using the Kallax system in our next home as the storage solution. The thought however of doing that in a storage unit somehow doesn't seem practical.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Happy listening.

@68pete they're on end, of course! The boxes are heavy moving boxes, all new. 

Regarding mold, the condo was airconditioned and well maintained. And as I mentioned, everything is currently in climate controlled storage.

Happy listening!