Looking to upgrade Adcom GFA555: Parasound?

This is my third system.  Honestly, usually used for semi-active or background music.

Speakers are vintage Wilson Watt/Puppy 7.  Source is an Eversolo dac/streamer Into a vintage Classe DR5 preamp.  Amp currently is the aforementioned Adcom: bought it new while in college 40 years ago!  The sound is pretty good, though a bit “small” and closed in.  

Considering replacing the amp with a Parasound A21+.  Thoughts?  Am I wasting my time?

Target cost to upgrade this rig: less than $5K.

Thanks!

bobbydd

I’d demo the Parasound or something else. For me, at least, the Adcom has always sounded tonally threadbare.

I'd highly recommend the guys at Musical Concepts, John Hillig has several options for that unit and can even provide new FETS from Exicon that really give that amp significant improvements in the sound quality.

I second or third the idea of keeping the Adcom.

I recently reached out to Chris Hoppe to refurb my 565’s and he put me in touch with Jon Morris. Jon did a great job overhauling my mono blocks using Chris’s new designed cards and all of the best components.

altonbtc@gmail.com Is Jon’s email address.

Much cheaper than the alternatives. And should sound as good or better.

Why not a Classe CA-300/400. Can you ever over power a Wilson Audio loudspeaker?

I recently received the Magnepan LRS+ for my bedroom/home theater 2.1 system.

I assumed I would have to get a new amp for this system but discovered that my old Adcom 545 II drove the LRS+ so well that I don’t know what else I would want in an amp in this context.