Looking to upgrade Adcom GFA555: Parasound?

This is my third system.  Honestly, usually used for semi-active or background music.

Speakers are vintage Wilson Watt/Puppy 7.  Source is an Eversolo dac/streamer Into a vintage Classe DR5 preamp.  Amp currently is the aforementioned Adcom: bought it new while in college 40 years ago!  The sound is pretty good, though a bit “small” and closed in.  

Considering replacing the amp with a Parasound A21+.  Thoughts?  Am I wasting my time?

Target cost to upgrade this rig: less than $5K.

Thanks!

bobbydd

Showing 1 response by gfguillot

I have a Parasound JC5, new it’s a little more expensive than the A21+, but really close in watts per channel at 300 for the A21+ and 400 for the JC5. You can get a JC5 used between $4-$5K. I had may choice narrowed down between the Adcom 585SE, JC5 and the A21+. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these. I’d think the A21+ is an upgrade to your Adcom GFA-555. I love my JC5, has a warm sound in the mids, highs are not bright, great control over the bass. If it’s budget to stay under $5K and you want new, get the Adcom 585SE though, it’s comparable to the Parasound JC5 at 400 a ch. I choose the JC5 because it has some class A functionality on the low settings then switches to class A/B, but I can’t hear the transition of course.