Looking to upgrade Adcom GFA555: Parasound?

This is my third system.  Honestly, usually used for semi-active or background music.

Speakers are vintage Wilson Watt/Puppy 7.  Source is an Eversolo dac/streamer Into a vintage Classe DR5 preamp.  Amp currently is the aforementioned Adcom: bought it new while in college 40 years ago!  The sound is pretty good, though a bit “small” and closed in.  

Considering replacing the amp with a Parasound A21+.  Thoughts?  Am I wasting my time?

Target cost to upgrade this rig: less than $5K.

Thanks!

bobbydd

Showing 1 response by decooney

@reubent ..."The two techs that I’m familiar with who upgrade the GFA-555 are John Hillig at Musical Concepts and Chris Hoppe at Hoppe’s Brain. Both are well respected and get great reviews/feedback. ..."

OP @bobbydd +1 to @reubent’s posts above. Definitely worth serious consideration. Also worth identifying if yours is a MKI or MKII original GFA-555. In any case, these type of techs know what to replace for aging and upgrades where it matters.

I took a chance on investing and fully upgrading one of Nelson’s other designs on the Pass/Forte amp side, not exact - but some of the same lineage. Give those folks a call listed above and ask them more about what they replace, upgrade, and the expected differences and outcome. You might be surprised. Super happy with mine, and really like how it sounds.